New Savage Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a huge fan of Savage rifles. I have rebarreled a few. Actually I have 4 prefit barrels on stanby right now. 2 300 PRC's, a 300 Weatherby and a 30 Nosler. They should all be done by summer, I'm only trying to decide on the furniture. I have nothing bad to say about Savage rifle. All the ones I've dealt with have been shooters.

Nice group! What cartridge?

You can also put a Model 10 ML barrel on a standard Savage 110 action and get a bolt head from Arrowhead Rifles which holds a 209 primer. This works very well.

Try the 250 grain Hornady Monoflex .458 bullet in the MMP Orange sabot with 100 gr of Acc 4064.

(QuickLoad predicts the pressure at about 22,508 psi.)

You can also put a Model 10 ML barrel on a standard Savage 110 action and get a bolt head from Arrowhead Rifles which holds a 209 primer. This works very well.

Try the 250 grain Hornady Monoflex .458 bullet in the MMP Orange sabot with 100 gr of Acc 4064.

(QuickLoad predicts the pressure at about 22,508 psi.)

The barrel nut on the Savage makes it easy to change the barrel if you have a wrench and a headspace gauge.

My Savage 12FV in 223 topped with a Mueller 8-32x scope is stupid accurate with 30c/ea reloads. Never had an issue with an accutrigger's pull weight as set by factory...

Stupid inexpensive too. $1200 would duplicate my set up, INCLUDING the reloading equipment and components to load a couple hundred rounds.

Rifle from Bass Pro for $425
Single shot aluminum sled $20 (the blind box mag sucked)
Mueller 8-32x44 w/ AO and 1/8" dot $250 new plus rings (they offer a mildot version)

So about $700 depending on local taxes etc.

Get any single stage reloading press kit and a set of dies ($300ish), 1lb powder and 200-300 primers (get 'em from Bass Pro when you get your rifle - ship-to-store has no hazmat fee, $65ish total), 200-250 bullets (midsouth and grafs are cheaper than basspro) and off to the races you go, probably with change left over.

This is a 100 yard 10 shot group with my first loadings of RMR's 69gr BTHP that is supposed to be similar to the SMK, powder charge was basically very close to published starting load data and where my powder measure fell when I was adjusting it. Day was very windy and gusty as well. Can't wait to do proper load testing with 'em.

rmr693gh.jpg

Back