New territory for me....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
.....a long shot.

While I keep my guns sighted for relatively moderate range hunting, 100 yards for the rifles and 50 for the Optima pistol, I still hang targets at 150 yards just to know where the bullets will go on the off chance I should find myself looking at a longer target. This morning such a target evolved out of nowhere and stood, steeply downhill at almost a fifty degree angle, at what I guessed to be 160-165 yards. The nephew really needed this doe since he simply could not hit anything all week. So there she stood, perfect broadside at what looked like a mile away. I got the crosshairs on her and really had to guess just where I needed to hold, then touched off the Accura. I heard the whomp of the bullet and saw a flinch and she was off to the races. After reloading I went down the hill, mostly on my butt, to where she'd been standing. No blood. I saw where she scuffed the leaves as she departed and within 8 yards I had blood. Within 12 yards I had super blood. And this continued for thirty yards until I found her piled up at the base of a tree. Evidently she leaned on the tree as she expired as blood smeared all the way to where she laid .

The Xpander hit just where I wanted it too and exited on the opposite shoulder, sort of low. No lungs. No heart. Just mush in the chest cavity. Three Xpanders, three very neatly killed deer. No damage that was hideous, just nice clean kills. I've been a XTP shooter for years and enjoyed very similar results with them. I just had to try the Xpanders and can say I am very happy with the results.

77 weighed grains of 209 powder, Winchester primer, Xpanders with the accompanying sabots. Done deal.
Gotta thank ya'll for the banter about these bullets when I asked about them. Great information on the bullets and possible loads, so thanks to all again. You sure helped make this season a dandy.

You had a great season congrats! Any tags left for the late ML season?

No Mossy, I'm all filled out. Unless I want to wander down to the CWD zone and join in on the massacre, which I do not subscribe to.

I'll turn 69 on Thanksgiving day and feel fortunate that I was able to be on the hill as much as I was this year. That early snow turned things to grease so footing was a real issue both going up and coming down and falls are always a concern... don't need to be breaking a hip out there. The copd has clipped my breathing pretty good but I am still not needing oxygen thank God. All things considered, I did have a great season.

Congrats on your harvest , I love the barns Expander's & TEZ flat base BUT man they are high priced when ever I have shot a deer with one they have never went more than 35yds Again Congrats

Congrats on a good season and shooting skills. Hope you have many more to come. Barnes has proven a very effective hunting bullet for me without wasting meat.

Good shot.
Was you pistol load the same as your rifle load?
We’re you able to recover the bullet?

Latest posts

Back