New to Black Powder revolver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobsdad

Reaction score
Hello. New here. I've been hunting with Flintlocks for almost 30 years but never jumped in to the revolver world. For Fathers Day this year my son bought me a Repro 1851 .44 cal Revolver. Looks like supplies are limited these days but I think I have everything covered. Simple question/comment. Are conicles OK in revolvers? Also, using "reduced loads", does air space create a problem?

I also have reloaded smokeless powder cartridges for 30 years but am not familiar with the specifics of Black Powder. New learning curve. Thanks.

Ive had an 1858 and have 2 Ruger Old Armies. All shot/shoot rb and conicals really well. I cast my own and love shooting conicals. Not exactly sure what you mean about "air space". If you mean between powder and projectile then don't do it. If you're talking about between the projectile and the end of the cylinder the gap is no problem at all.

Welcome to the forum. I have an 1858 new army 44 caliber revolver. I really don't shoot it very much but when I do, it's only round ball. I never tried conical bullets.

miciganmuzzy. Thanks for your input. In metallic cartridges loaded with reduced loads there can be an unacceptable pressure wave in an underfilled cartridge. I suspect that this is not an issue with black powder especially considering that the cylinder is the "cartridge" and probably lower pressures, but just curious. Again, thank you for your comment..

When I shot light loads in my brass-framed replica 1860 Army .44 caliber revolver I used corn meal to fill the chambers of the cylinder up so that the ball was seated just below the mouth of the cylinder opening. That way the possibility of not seating the ball completely onto the powder charge is eliminated. This was back in the 1970's when I was a teenager.

I made a flask out of 1.25" copper pipe with copper caps silver soldered onto the ends, and with a cut off 30/06 cartridge case soldered onto one end for a spout. Capped the neck of the cartridge case with an empty pistol cartridge case, 9mm perhaps?

Found a small funnel at a thrift store, and used it to fill the corn meal flask

When I shot light loads in my brass-framed replica 1860 Army .44 caliber revolver I used corn meal to fill the chambers of the cylinder up so that the ball was seated just below the mouth of the cylinder opening. That way the possibility of not seating the ball completely onto the powder charge is eliminated. This was back in the 1970's when I was a teenager.

I made a flask out of 1.25" copper pipe with copper caps silver soldered onto the ends, and with a cut off 30/06 cartridge case soldered onto one end for a spout. Capped the neck of the cartridge case with an empty pistol cartridge case, 9mm perhaps?

Ive not tried any filler yet. I hear many revolver shooters do that. Ive been shooting full loads and a 45colt conversion cylinder snd have been happy with accuracy so far. Might have to lighten up and shoot a bunch with and without filler. One thing for certain is, it'll save some powder.

You might find that a light load will shoot just as accurately at 25 yards, and will allow you to practice without the recoil of the heavier loads.

Ive not tried any filler yet. I hear many revolver shooters do that. Ive been shooting full loads and a 45colt conversion cylinder and have been happy with accuracy so far. Might have to lighten up and shoot a bunch with and without filler. One thing for certain is, it'll save some powder.
MM, please tell me brother that is not a brass frame your using the conversion cylinder in? I know people put down brass frames, I have several I shoot, but not with conversion cylinders.
DL

No sir. It is a Ruger Old Army. Very nearly an old model Blackhawk. Built tough. No known max load in these bad boys.
Thats a good one. I dont have a ROA but i do have a Blackhawk in .357 that i load with Contender loads. One hell of a bang. For bp i have my Pietta SS '58 NMA in 44 cal. I love it. Be nice if there was a bp conversion for the Blackhawk or wish i could find a 45 Colt barrel and cylinder for my Blackhawk.
DL

Edit: It wasn't corn meal, it was Cream of Wheat cereal, which has a finer grind than corn meal does. Trying to remember things from 50+ years ago is tough!!!!

These are the hot cereals we ate growing up in Baltimore City. No grits until I lived in the south as an adult.

Oatmeal
Cream of Wheat
Cream of Rice
Ralston (a coarse cracked wheat)

Ralston was my favorite because it had a nutty, toasted flavor, and there was something to chew on. The others you kinda just swallow, especially with lots of butter on them.

Back