New to inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shot my old percussion cap probably 200xs now. Finally splurged got a new inline. Have a CVA Accura plains rifle coming Tuesday. I have a scope coming Wednesday. Hoping to site in quick and use it to snag a deer as our muzzle loader deer season opened this morning. I'm a trucker won't be home till Wednesday. Any helpful tips or any experience with this cva model would be wonders.

Now down to read everyone else's threads!
Welcome to the inline club! I'm much like you in that I got my start with percussion years ago but graduated to inline because of the extended range and accuracy. I'm a trucker too...33 years. And my gun of choice is a 50cal. Plains Rifle. BH209 is the cleanest burning, least corrosive BP substitute on the market. It also has the smallest deviation of velocity shot to shot of any other powder as well. But it requires a hot fire to get it lit. If you can't get Federal, CCI or Winchester 209 primers (or even better the magnum versions) then I'd stay away from it till you do. I see in the picture you posted Triple 7 pellets and primers...they work well together but it's very dirty compared to BH209. You will need to swab between shots, otherwise accuracy may suffer and it'll get hard to get a bullet seated. I'm curious...what scope did you get?

Do these new rifles shoot well with hand molded bullet and sabot backing? Was thinking about getting into making my own

I have a cva scope kit at home and one wife ordered online I'll have to figure out the brand when I'm home. I know she said it was rated for it. I do want to get the leopod one soon as Christmas is over

Do these new rifles shoot well with hand molded bullet and sabot backing? Was thinking about getting into making my own
Thats a good idea. I have saboted some of my bigger cast bullets and they do well in the right sabot. I cast for my revolver but have not tried those pistol bullets in a rifle yet. Thats a good cheap way to shoot more. Usually i cast 300 or bigger for rifles. I cast some .45 200 and 220 grain bullets for revolvers. I think that im going to size some for the knight 45 1-30 and give them a try next range trip.

I recently switched to BH209 in my Thompson Omega stainless 50cal. Loaded 100g powder, 250g TC shockwave easy glide(yellow), Winchester triple 7 209 primer. Was kissing the 1in target center on second shot after a little scope adjustment. Fired two triple 7 primers and one Remington STS primer. No misfires, flash hole still open when held up to light and looking through it. Did not not swab between shots. Just my personal experience. I’ve been reading this forum for two years, and I get the impression most misfires are due to lack of, or improper cleaning. You put any kind of spark near BH209, it going to go boom! 😆

You have been a member since Dec 2016 so make that 4yrs.

You should know by now that a WinT7 primer is about the worst primer you can use with BH209. They are the weakest primer on the market. Yes ive used them too for testing only in warmer temps with very tight fitting sabots. They all went bang just fine. Fact is though..............Not everyone uses BH209 under perfect conditions with a excellent breech plug. Why you would want to pay more for a ML 209 primer escapes me. A standard Win209 cost less and works better. Mag primers will work even better for some people.

No it wont always go boom. Why do you imagine the both CVA and Western sell plugs made to ignite BH209. Why do you think a Lehigh bare primer plug works better than a Knight FPJ plug? There are numerous posts from people using marginal plugs with FTFs using brand spanking new plugs. I would agree there are tons of FTFs with clogged up plugs but not all plugs and loads are created equal.

When that big buck pops up i want to be 100% certain mine is going off exactly like it did at the range under controlled conditions.

Last edited:
I live in Western Upstate New York. Long cold winters the norm here. Planning to do late muzzleloader still hunting for deer December 14th-22nd. Hoping for plenty of snow! Will update on Winchester primers performance in sub freezing temperatures soon!

Ammunition and related shooting supply shelves have been emptied for months by panic hoarding shoppers. I had some triple 7 Winchesters left over from my previous setup, so using what I have available. Will gladly include a photo if successful during late season.

I am not sure why they don't recommend using blackburn with the primers I ended up buying. Works fine. Scope I have on it now is a konus scope. Did try using that blackhorn 209 with the primers I have and it works fine. Didn't see any difference of accuracy at 60 yards. Boy is it alot cleaner too

I am not sure why they don't recommend using blackburn with the primers I ended up buying. Works fine. Scope I have on it now is a konus scope. Did try using that blackhorn 209 with the primers I have and it works fine. Didn't see any difference of accuracy at 60 yards. Boy is it alot cleaner too
You will and most likely the buck you dream of will hear the cussing as he goes over the hill just sayin/Ed

FWIW from my experience in the December Michigan muzzleloader hunt from 10 to 30 degrees it takes a spotless breech plug, hottest primer you can get, dry chamber, 82 grains weight of blackhorn ( you may want more or less velocity depending on your requirements ) and a tight fitting bullet in the barrel otherwise you run the chance of a misfire on the big one you’ve been after. ALSO REMEMBER not to bring your gun indoors if you are not going to clean the gun otherwise you WILL get condensation in the barrel and ruin your load.

Latest posts

Back