New to me .38-55 Marlin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and I suspect the butt stock is not original. Appears a different wood and the fit is not perfect.
Cory
I wouldn't worry too much about the wood/metal fit being perfect. If it scratches dark as in walnut You are probably ok. Stocks have a way of shrinking over a long period of time making the metal a bit "proud" and not a perfect fit anymore. ANYWAY it's a damn fine rifle in a great caliber so don'
t be too judgmental....Trader

Your correct on the buttstock being not original.
I noticed it has the Rocky Mountain front sight blade.
My absolute favorite front blade sight.

Update folks:
Acquired all required loading equipment for this caliber, along with 3 molds and 2 types of primers. After much load testing of so many combinations, finally got my load down. Turns out the Lee 2.8cc dipper with Pyrodex RS Select, no wad or card and the Lyman 375248 bullet dropped as cast (.377”) of almost pure lead (small percentage of hard lead shot added) resulted in a 5-shot one ragged hole group at 25 yds. Next range trip will move out and test/tweak at longer range. Lube was a home concoction of beeswax/bear tallow/JPW/2-stroke oil. A lot of work but starting to pay off!
Walk

Not unusual for wood to shrink, change color, loosen etc on something that old. Probably been in all kinds of weather etc over the years. IMHO
I’ve confirmed it has been changed at some point in its life as there is no serial number on it under the tang, plus it appears hand carved underneath the metal components. I’d like to believe that it broke at the wrist, (perhaps when a horse rolled over it while in a saddle scabbard??) but in reality I’ve no idea. In any event it is a part of the rifles history and will remain as such.
Walk

Did a lot of playing and found a load that gave excellent groups at 25 yds using Pyrodex Select. Never had much of a chance to shoot further than that until today. Range was extremely busy, and nothing was closing to allow for target changes, but I did notice the 100 yd gong (say 6” ish) was installed. Took 3 shots to figure out where it was hitting, adjusted the elevation on the rear sight and followed with 7 smacks. Obviously I do not know group size, but I will guarantee it is minute of dear!!
Quite impressed with this 114 year ol’girl.
Walk

I assume you'll want to hunt with this rifle. At the velocities of your rifle, you might want to consider a hollowpoint bullet, or at least a bullet with a large meplat. I use a Contender pistol for javelina, and using a regular rifle bullet made for pencil holes with slow kills. Once I went to a varmit bullet with a big hollowpoint, it killed instantly. I had almost the same experience with my muzzleloader for elk. A soft, heavy bullet with a hollowpoint dropped them in place, even at relatively slow velocity.

I use the Lyman 375248 mold for this gun. About 1% tin added. Quite soft actually. If I get to do much hunting anymore, it will be a deer/bear gun for sure. Likely launching at 1250fps or so.
Walk

Back