New to ML questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help you with powders nor bullets and loads with such, but, my duck hunting partner had shoulder surgery last year and couldn't stand the recoil on his "recovered and healed" shoulder. One shot would almost put him in tears but he had it in his heart to not miss the season. I made him a "recoil pad" out of a foam garden kneeling pad. I cut it to about an 8 x 6-inch piece and fitted it into curves of his shoulder, arm, and neck, and taped it to his shirt. It worked but it would move so I taped it to the butt of his stock fitting it as he held his shotgun mounted. It greatly reduced the felt recoil and he hunted the season like that with very little pain.

I have a pretty average weight ml, MK85, which I'm guessing at about 7lbs. I've used 260 grain sabots with 90 grains of RS, and 240 grain sabots with, I think, 80 grains RS, by volume. Neither kicked much, and both took deer just fine. I preferred the 260 grain, because the 240 grain kicked so little it was hard to trust it. I only took two deer with that lighter load, but they both went down quick, and stayed down.
Please forgive the intrusion. What is RS?

Primers seem to be hard to find lately, along with everything else shooting related.
Any gun shops around your area?
You could shop around online maybe find some. Best to order a thousand at least because of the hazmat fee you will have to pay. It's the same no matter how many you buy.

CCI 209’s, and the 240 Hornady XTP’s, if you want to keep it simple get the red box with the green sabots. I prefer lose powder of Blackhorn 209 but T7 will work fine. Measure 80 gr by volume. I used this load with my boys when they started and it still works great, less recoil, good shot groups and great on deer. If you can afford it I’d look at a little heavier ML as it helps with the recoil also. My sons use my White and Encore. Maybe check out the CVA Optima, I’ve seen a few good deals lately and you’ll get more bang for your buck so to speak. The guys on here are a wealth of knowledge and it’s a great sight, good luck

If recoil is an issue, as mentioned....you could always load down some. I know plenty of folks that have killed alot of deer with 80gr or even less. You could also use a 200gr saboted bullet with a lower powder charge and be very effective, assuming your avg shot is under 100 yds. For Pyrodex or T7 you can used the reduced power 209's (such as Triple 7 209's) ... if you go with BH209, do not use them - you need hotter 209's.

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

This rifle is rated as a magnum by the manufacturer. But there is nothing stopping you from using a lighter bullet and powder load to get a lighter recoil.

Latest posts

Back