New to ML - Rem 700 and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Michigan, da Thumb
Supporting member
Reaction score
Been doing my research and soon getting ready to do some testin' ;)

What I have, is a Stainless Rem 700 ML, 50 Cal, that has been converted, courtesy of Badger Ridge, to use BH209. I have loaded and fired a primer so believe the Breechhead is adjusted properly, when I close the bolt it feels like a slight crush fit.

It is scoped with a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x44.

I plan to shoot the Barnes 290gr T-EZ (sabot) pushed with BH209.

Two areas I'm slightly not sure about. 1) Does it matter what weight bullet, I mean, any difference in whatever bullet is used as to what charge to use? i.e., I could shoot a 100 volume charge for any weight bullet?

and 2) to get that 100 volume charge, if I weigh, I will be weighing 65 grains of Blackhorn out on a powder scale.

I'll shoot these at a 50 yard range, with bench, covered, etc. so will weigh and load up several vials, not sure what they're called, plastic tubes that hold a specific volume powder.

Final Purpose: Hunting Load for Deer, and if a MZ hunt for Elk. All responses appreciated, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Been doing my research and soon getting ready to do some testin' ;)

What I have, is a Stainless Rem 700 ML, 50 Cal, that has been converted, courtesy of Badger Ridge, to use BH209. I have loaded and fired a primer so believe the Breechhead is adjusted properly, when I close the bolt it feels like a slight crush fit.

It is scoped with a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x44.

I plan to shoot the Barnes 290gr T-EZ (sabot) pushed with BH209.

Two areas I'm slightly not sure about. 1) Does it matter what weight bullet, I mean, any difference in whatever bullet is used as to what charge to use? i.e., I could shoot a 100 volume charge for any weight bullet?

and 2) to get that 100 volume charge, if I weigh, I will be weighing 65 grains of Blackhorn out on a powder scale.

I'll shoot these at a 50 yard range, with bench, covered, etc. so will weigh and load up several vials, not sure what they're called, plastic tubes that hold a specific volume powder.

Final Purpose: Hunting Load for Deer, and if a MZ hunt for Elk. All responses appreciated, Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Pretty well any weight bullet . I shoot as hot a load as i can till accuracy falls off .
70gr approx = 100gr volume
You need to find a range with some distance to it !!!!
Im on the same quest with a 700ml i forgot i had . Go.figure lol !!!!!!!

Yes you can shoot a 100grain volume charge of blackhorn for any bullet, you may deem the accuracy acceptable or not, going up or down in charge will find what combination is most accurate. That's the advantage of shooting loose powder.

Thanks guys, got it. Yes, once I get scope sighted in and a few groups to play with will increase distance and charge. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. Not new to reloading, just new to Muzzleloader particulars.

Thanks guys, got it. Yes, once I get scope sighted in and a few groups to play with will increase distance and charge. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. Not new to reloading, just new to Muzzleloader particulars.
Made any progress ???

Not yet, I've got everything set, just gotta get some time and load up and go to range. Got a few irons in fire. Suspect I'll have some info in a month or so, will then post again.

Latest posts

Back