New to muzzleloading, help sighting in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkel4

Reaction score
Hi all, I just began shooting muzzleloader and am having some trouble sighting in. I have a CVA accura V2, and put a Williams peep sight on it (my state doesn’t allow scopes for hunting). I have been trying to get the sight zero’d in but can only seem to get the shots grouped about 4 inches high at 50 yards, I have the peep in its lowest position and have shot 240-250 grain bullets with anywhere between 60 and 120 grains of triple seven powder. Am I missing something here? I’d prefer to not use a heavier bullet as I plan on taking this muzzleloader to Arizona for a javelina hunt.

Shim the front sight up.
Or have the barrel bent up. They do that with shotguns. Use a competent GS if you are leery.

You might want to try some different bullets. You don't say what brand you're using. It may turn out that a bit heavier bullet is what your gun likes.
Muzzleloaders are funny till you find what works best. Good luck.

Or have the barrel bent up. They do that with shotguns. Use a competent GS if you are leery.
Please dont do that with a ML. Williams makes a shorter front sight. .445 high i believe. That's apparently common on them when switching to a peep, the fronts too tall. But a heavier bullet might be in your future. 300grain. Im kinda surprised that its high with a 60 grn load of t7. Was it 3f? Try 2f if so. You said its high but how big were the groups?

Also @ 100 yards your shot would be even higher (0.7") using a MV of 1900 fps -.50 cal 250gr., from the interewebs charts I just glanced at and Strelock on my phone.
I have the EABrown peep/scopebase and my peep is as low as it can go and shoots in the bull at 50.

Thanks everyone for the help, I looked at the original front sight the came with the Accura and it does sit a little taller than the Williams front sight. Im going to try that with the Williams peep in the rear and see what happens

When I installed a Williams sight on my White, I had to play with the front sight height to get it right. I did some rough math to try to figure out what I needed, but then bought three or four different heights just in case (my front is dovetailed, so changing out the sight was easier than trying to shim).

marky-d

Latest posts

Back