New to Muzzy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff900

Reaction score
Hey folks! Long time lurker and decided to join. I look forward to contributing and joining the community. Have 10 years of archery elk and muley experience in CO, and decided to put in for a muzzy deer tag this year in CO and plan to hunt high wilderness. I hunted whitetail with a tradition muzzleloader and older in-line when I was a teen, but it’s been so long I’m basically starting fresh. I need to purchase and start shooting - just wondering what mid-budget muzzies you like, and what are some newbie mistakes that can immediately be avoided?! PS I’m left handed!!!

Being left handed I would go with a break action. I prefer CVA. In my experience shoot loose grain powder and shoot Barnes bullets. I threw thousands of dollars at these things trying different bullets and powder and I always come back to loose grain powder and Barnes TEZ bullets. Make sure you buy good scope mounts, I prefer DNZ game reaper one piece . And spent the money on a good scope. These things will grenade scopes .

You'll have to check the regs to see what caliber is legal for deer. If your looking for traditional style guns, Lyman has some good choices. Left handed models are available.
Welcome aboard from Oklahoma.

Before the pandemic I bought two nice CVA muzzys for about $125 each from estate auctions. The week link is the nut pressing the trigger. Spend good money on the sights. Loose powder allows to buy the best projectiles you can afford.
Good luck!

All excellent responses. I have a Wolf and Knight Elite. Both .50 with 1/28 twist. Both really like Loose T7 @ 100 grains by volume with MMP green sabots and GT 305 grain .430 lead bullets. The bullets are way cheap and we kill deer with them no problem. See Rons bullet testing results.

Im a lefty also.

If your going to use anything but BH209 I agree with a spit patch cleaning between every shot.

Welcome

Conical only in muzzy season in Colorado.
I also suggest a CVA. Mid price would be the Optima. wait a month or so and Hornady will be releasing the Bore Driver bullet. It will be a good choice for Colorado if it becomes legal. Which it should.

Powerbelts and the Federal Bor-Lock are also legal during Colorado's muzzleloader season.

Latest posts

Back