New to Smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
What is my best option in smokeless rifles for someone just starting with them, I know there are plenty of Smokeless companies/individuals that deal in them. Just looking for a budget build I reckon. I'm in NC and all smokeless hunting is legal as far as I know. All help would be great, also how readily available has the powder/primers been? what type of primers do you use? Thanks guys
How much are conversions usually if I send in a rifle to have it done, such as the CVA scout 4570 to smokeless?

Last edited:

jsteurrys

Reaction score
I would say that the CVA Scout .45-70 conversion is the least expensive way to go. You can get one ready to go from Hankins Custom Rifles.

Components are not readily available. The popular H powders are out of stock when I looked over the weekend. I did find VV powders. Primers are available, but there seems to be a lot of price gouging going on. Beware of scam sites when buying components online.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
If considering a Scout conversion, just remember the blue SCOUT has a 25" barrel and the stainless Scout V2 has roughly a 22-23" with a 2-3" long brake on it. A few years ago the blued model was called the Hunter and the action release was like a Wolf ML. They dropped the Hunter and started selling the blued Scout with the updated action release.

Personally i would rather have the blued if for no other reason than the barrel is longer and 4140CM is arguably stronger steel than most 416R SS. You could almost have a better brake installed for the price difference.

Latest posts