New Twist on an Old Design

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just goofing around. That took about 10 minutes to cut that one tip.
I do think these will expand well and should shoot pretty well, as is.
The hollow point is 0.125"+/- at the top cut at an 8 degree angle to .300" +/- long, depending on how much material was removed when I rounded the tip.
I have switched from Pyro Select/777 to shooting Swiss currently. I only have two rifles I shoot BH out of, my Accura and Austin Halleck

I was just goofing around. That took about 10 minutes to cut that one tip.
I do think these will expand well and should shoot pretty well, as is.
The hollow point is 0.125"+/- at the top cut at an 8 degree angle to .300" +/- long, depending on how much material was removed when I rounded the tip.
I have switched from Pyro Select/777 to shooting Swiss currently. I only have two rifles I shoot BH out of, my Accura and Austin Halleck
Youll be fine as is .

You are welcome to perform your own test to see how it performs, Ron and I had an interest to actually find out.
Here is were RonL reduced test became valuable as it shows how a bullet will perform at reduced velocities simulating down range. The distances and minimal energy can also be evaluated. IMO - every bullet should be made to perform at the minimum of killing energy- 1000ftlbs. It is easy today to find this number.
That’s where Ron & I we’re experimenting with HP - how big.
Here’s the HP diameters he tested and data we were using as I shot my 50/475 with 35grW (same as Ron’s test) to get 980fps from my Labradar to come up with 275yd performance.
0380E63D-36CB-47C9-9395-506999575B66.jpeg
32152F43-F134-4EA5-9247-908C20AE6AC5.jpeg

So here’s the first two groups with this bullet shot from my .504 White S91 at 100 yards. Light crosswind.
The first group was shot with the bullets sized to .5075 with a .50 wad and swabbing between shots.
The group marked with a 2 was shot with the bullets sized to .505 and shot on a dirty bore. The low shot was first shot. The other two that hit in the tape are what I expect with my rifle. This is how it usually shoots when shooting that way, first shot AFTER the fouler is ALWAYS low...I wish I had sized a few more down to .505, I only did three.
0.506-0.5065 might be the sweet spot for this gun. Gotta build some more dies I guess. In .50 cal I have built four dies. .5075, .505, .5035, .4995....
I like shooting on a fouled bore cause that’s what will happen in a hunting situation if I blow the first shot.
These two groups were shot with 80 gns w Swiss 2f. I’m not gonna post the target shot with the Accura V2, using 90 gns v BH209 it’s down right embarrassing. They shot absolutely horrid...

Attachments

• 3EF97DF6-4B4A-4614-87A1-CDD5CA2B1D6A.jpeg
    3EF97DF6-4B4A-4614-87A1-CDD5CA2B1D6A.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 18
So here’s the first two groups with this bullet shot from my .504 White S91 at 100 yards. Light crosswind.
The first group was shot with the bullets sized to .5075 with a .50 wad and swabbing between shots.
The group marked with a 2 was shot with the bullets sized to .505 and shot on a dirty bore. The low shot was first shot. The other two that hit in the tape are what I expect with my rifle. This is how it usually shoots when shooting that way, first shot AFTER the fouler is ALWAYS low...I wish I had sized a few more down to .505, I only did three.
0.506-0.5065 might be the sweet spot for this gun. Gotta build some more dies I guess. In .50 cal I have built four dies. .5075, .505, .5035, .4995....
I like shooting on a fouled bore cause that’s what will happen in a hunting situation if I blow the first shot.
These two groups were shot with 80 gns w Swiss 2f. I’m not gonna post the target shot with the Accura V2, using 90 gns v BH209 it’s down right embarrassing. They shot absolutely horrid...

Awesome Stuff my Friend!! :lewis:

I would Cut that CVA Muzzle Back and Re-Crown it, GET RID of that BGM Muzzle (CVA’s Form of QLA) I personally would not Have a Rifle with ANY form of QLA Muzzle, There is Simply NO NEED for anything like that

Here is my Rice 1:20 Twist, I would Make That CVA Muzzle look like this :lewis: My Green Mountain LRH Barrels are Crowned like this as well
n53XqGql.jpg

Last edited:
I’m bettin if I had brought one more of those .505’s it would have stuck right in there with those top two. The last time I shot .505 out of that gun, that’s how it behaved.

Awesome Stuff my Friend!! :lewis:

I would Cut that CVA Muzzle Back and Re-Crown it, GET RID of that BGM Muzzle (CVA’s Form of QLA) I personally would not Have a Rifle with ANY form of QLA Muzzle, There is Simply NO NEED for anything like that

Here is my Rice 1:20 Twist, I would Make That CVA Muzzle look like this :lewis: My Green Mountain LRH Barrels are Crowned like this as well
n53XqGql.jpg
I was getting lead out of that CVA too, my damp patch had lots a shiny flecks in it. It’s a Bergara barrel, which, I have heard good and bad about. Needs some bore paste I think...

60 yard target 70 grains Swiss, Teflon tape sabot on first shot on a clean bore. No cleaning, no wads on next three shots. Bullets sized at .506
Don’t remember which shot was first shot. I didn’t have anything to write with yesterday....

Snapbang, I mistakingly sent you the wrong pic yesterday. This is the one I should have sent. As I went back through the pics, I sent you the one of the 500 grain bullets.... these are gonna do ok too I think.
1590520982369.jpeg

Latest posts

Back