new vermontah

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vt mike

Reaction score
hello , new here . saw this site on you tube and was impressed by how knowledgeable the guy was . not real into muzzle loading , would like to hunt with it again but cant make it shoot good so i'm here to pick brains, I have a TC Renegade in 54 cal. seems to be a dead cal. as far as being able to find ammo. I put a scope on it as my eyes aint what they used to be. shot 20 maxi's thru it today and it wont group. I'll get two good ones and the third goes to china. when I got the gun 30 years ago it was deadly accurate and for the past 10 years ,off and on, I cant make it shoot rite I would like to try great plains bullits as I've heard that gun likes them but cant find them anywhere .any help would be appreciated thanx Mike

now that you mention it that's what i used back in the day and it was very accurate still using Goex FF 90 grains
Over the years I messed around with inlines and sabot bullets and such. Now days I pretty much have gotten back to more traditional style. Real black powder and patched round ball.

Well hello Mike,:welcome: to the brotherhood.

Ok gotcha. My daughter lives in Burlington and my wife has family up north in Newport Center, Vt.
I always loved it there.
We're out in southeast Oklahoma but originally from Connecticut.
I grew up in cos cob ct.

I grew up in cos cob ct.
No kidding, small world. Muzzleloader rifles can be vexing at times until you find that sweet spot. If your gun shot good with the round ball, maybe revisit them. They've cheap enough and available in alot of places. Best of luck to you and welcome.

Welcome aboard Mike. I live in Poultney,VT and also shoot a .54 Renegade. I mostly shoot .530 round balls, with a .018 dry lube patch. I used to shoot .54 Hornady Great Plains, and loved them but Hornady stopped making them...I did try the .54 Powerbelt bullets, and they shot great also. If I was hunting deer size only I would shoot patched round balls only and practice lots. Shooting round balls that I pour myself is much cheeper.

Attachments

• 20201030_150620.jpg
    20201030_150620.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 3
Back