new vermontah

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, this forum and the people on are very helpful. Your in the right place. As a side note I am a big fan of the 54.

You'll find answers here to questions you didn't know you had! @Idaholewis and others have done extensive tests with T/C Maxi's, and found that they *can* be made to work. However, it has been found that the casting alloy for the Maxi's is 20 parts lead by 1part hate.

You're mostly better off casting your own for .54s or getting some made by a specialty shop. Most everyone here respects Dan C. at the BullShop. He knows his stuff and has a proprietary design in a .54 cal that is specific to the T/C 1:48 twist. Very reasonable prices, too.

@MrTom and @eekjellander will tell you that there's no dumb questions. I've tested their statement several times with no negativity.

Beware of @michiganmuzzy and @Bad Karma ! They pick on me all the time! :mad:

Welcome aboard, sir!

200w.gif

well thanx to all for the welcome aboard, now today I found out I've got another situation, the only two gun stores around here have stopped carrying black powder ! they have pyrodex and 777. niether of which I've ever used, i guess they'll work but I will have to start from scratch as far as working up an accurate load, so lets hear what your ideas and experiences are, TT Renegade 54cal 1 in 48 percussion,thanx guys Mike

Welcome! I’m on the other side of the mountain from you. I don’t know of anyone selling black powder around here, I just order it from Powder Valley. The HazMat isn’t a big deal if you order enough, even better if you can some folks together and split it up.

I have used Pyrodex in my sidelocks in the past. It works. Never tried triple 7 but I've read that alot of shooters use and like it. I also have to order my black powder, as it's not available anywhere near me.
There's the Maine Powder House up your way for a place to order from.

well thanx to all for the welcome aboard, now today I found out I've got another situation, the only two gun stores around here have stopped carrying black powder ! they have pyrodex and 777. niether of which I've ever used, i guess they'll work but I will have to start from scratch as far as working up an accurate load, so lets hear what your ideas and experiences are, TT Renegade 54cal 1 in 48 percussion,thanx guys Mike
Fyi, there is a gunstore in Charlestown,NH that stocks and sells real black powder. That should not be to far from you. Check it out

Same here in Ohio...well, almost. I can get Goex easy enough here, but read enough posts and tests by the kahunas on MM, and you'll quickly get a Jones for Swiss BP. I get mine from powder inc. Shipping isn't *too* terrible, and you can buy in 5lb increments. They have all manner of powders black.

https://powderinc.com/

Latest posts

Back