New Winchester 209 Primers For In-Lines??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Just bought a pack of "Winchester 209 Primers For In-Line Muzzleloaders". Item No.WML209. Now in a tan package.

Whatsha think...same as the ole Win 209's with new packaging & Item N0 ???

Anyone got the scoop?

Loggy said:
Just bought a pack of "Winchester 209 Primers For In-Line Muzzleloaders". Item No.WML209. Now in a tan package.

Whatsha think...same as the ole Win 209's with new packaging & Item N0 ???

Anyone got the scoop?

Yes, Sir. :shock:

It is not really fraud if they only say they are for inline muzzleloaders as originally the standard 209 primers were the intended primer until the shooters found that reduced power primers worked better. Now Remington has come back with the 410 primer and called it a "new" cleaner primer. Randy seems to have direct information that it is just the old 410 primer repackaged which is OK as they were an improvement for some cases where the reduced power was a benefit. Unless Winchester actually calls their primer a reduced power primer and it is not then it might be fraud. I have not seen their "new" primer so I have no idea what it is. I use the .25ACP conversion in my Omega so it really does not mean much to me except for my loaner rifle which is a Traditions Pursuit LT. I may try some of the Remingtons when they get to our Walmart.

I saw W Mart had a rack for the Rems but it was empty.

Anyone know if the Win209 (Blue Pack) is still manufactured?

I purchased some remington kleanbore primers at wally world, but haven't had a chance to use them.

MLKeith,

Why did you convert your Omega to 25 ACP? Just curious. Were you having problems, or just wanted to try something new?

ElkStalker-

There are 2 benefits to 25ACP or similar conversions on modern inlines.

* Less primer blowback - Keeps primer residue out of actions and off of scopes

* Less likelyhood of the dreaded 777 crud ring

Other than that, I do not see any real benefit. I have the ACCU-KLEEN breach plug in my Austin & Halleck and it really is an improvement over the factory plug.

Doohan said:
There are 2 benefits to 25ACP or similar conversions on modern inlines.

* Less primer blowback - Keeps primer residue out of actions and off of scopes

* Less likelyhood of the dreaded 777 crud ring

Those are exactly it. That's why I converted my Omega to 25 ACP. Number 1 was more important to me though since I always swab anyway.

I have the ACCU-KLEEN breach plug in my Austin & Halleck and it really is an improvement over the factory plug.

I was beginning to WONDER![/code]

I converted my Omega to the .25ACP because I was having a severe crud ring with 777. The conversion made it about 80% better but it is still there and I do not use 777 anymore. I found Black Mag'3 and my Omega loves it! I still use the conversion as the .25 brass is much easier to handle than the 209 primers and reloading when hunting is a lot faster and more positive. I now have a wide variety of primer power and types to select from all the way from light pistol to magnum rifle and all the different manufacturers so it is a fun project also.

Latest posts

Back