Newbie Cleaning Mistake with Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up Ed's Red. It's a homebrew mixture. I started using it on my muzzleloaders a number of years ago when I switched to T7. It does an awesome job. I was already using it on all my centerfire rifles and shotguns.

Look up Ed's Red. It's a homebrew mixture. I started using it on my muzzleloaders a number of years ago when I switched to T7. It does an awesome job. I was already using it on all my centerfire rifles and shotguns.

So, you are using Ed' Red totally? No water?

For use with T7, Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine works perfectly and with no odor. Works excellent for swabbing between shots with a slightly damp patch. Clean with a wet patch/s.
You can completely clean a barrel with 5 or 6 patches and you're done. No odor and the wife won't be complaining.....
When you're through cleaning, run a patch of Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner through the barrel.

I used Z-Max in the past to clean and condition the barrel on my rifles and shotguns. It works very well. A little goes a long way. It's much pricier than Eds Red but it does a fine job. Maybe throw a little Z-Max in Eds Red and see what you get. Or we could pull out the Mr Chemistry set.

When i used t7 i would fire up the wifes tea pot and pull the bp. Dump that down the barrel while standing it up in the kitchen sink. Then run a couple bore butter patches thru it and a lil grease on the bp threads. Dont tell my wife that.

Latest posts

Back