Newish to Muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 raggedhole

Reaction score
Im in my 3rd year with my own inline muzzleloader "used Barrowed one for 2 years Prior to buying my own" and have worked up a good load and taken a few deer with it. My question is i have a .32 crockett and its my first patch and ball shooter. I got some hornady .310 balls they worked ok but just ordered some .315. After i find the size ball it likes and powder, is there a good place to order balls in bulk? Also a good patch lube would help. I have the pillow ticking just looking into lube.

Don't really know of anyplace that sells round ball's in bulk . Most I've ever seen is 100 pks. Unless you could find an independent person who casts RB for there selves. Sorry not much help I know.

There are more different lubes used than you could possibly imagine lol. For a simple to use one I really like Track of the Wolf's mink oil. Comes in a convenient tin and I just swipe the patch across it twice and then rub it out to the edges with my thumbs. It is very slick and doesn't take much. I only lube one side of the patch. It is my "hunting" lube, when the load is going to stay in the gun for a while (it won't foul the powder or cause a rust ring). I swab between every shot, it makes loading much easier and gives me better groups.

For range sessions or repeated shooting, Hoppes Black Powder Solvent (not the Hoppes your dad cleaned his guns with) has worked well for me. I put a stack of patches in a container, pour some of the Hoppes on them, and let them sit for a couple of hours. You want them damp, so when you start them into the bore little to none is squeezed out of the patch. After lubing the stack of patches I check them again a couple hours later, if they are too dry I add a bit more lube, if too wet I add a few patches. Easy to get them just right with this method. This lube loads easy and you won't have to swab as long as your rifle will shoot good groups without swabbing. My TC renegade just simply has to be swabbed or groups really open up. Some range time will tell you what your rifle prefers.

Im in my 3rd year with my own inline muzzleloader "used Barrowed one for 2 years Prior to buying my own" and have worked up a good load and taken a few deer with it. My question is i have a .32 crockett and its my first patch and ball shooter. I got some hornady .310 balls they worked ok but just ordered some .315. After i find the size ball it likes and powder, is there a good place to order balls in bulk? Also a good patch lube would help. I have the pillow ticking just looking into lube.

Get a mold and cast your own. I have a 2 cavity 490rb mold and I can make hundreds per hour.

Back