Niece's First Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Niece has been wanting to hunt deer for a few years now, she decided this year she was going to go. It was a nice cool afternoon during Iowa's early muzzleloader season. I glassed this buck at 150 yards out, too far for her to shoot. Initially, he walked out of sight around a small hill in the corn field but later followed a button buck back our way and the rest is history. We were both very excited and I quickly snapped as many pictures as I could before the light faded.

TC Impact .50 cal, 80gr V. BH209, 250gr Hornady MonoFlex in a Harvester smooth black sabot, Fed 209A primer. The Buck ran maybe 30 yards. The MonoFlex performed beautifully and was recovered. My oldest Son helped skin the Buck and prep the hide for mounting, I believe her Dad is going to have a shoulder mount done. It's one of those racks that has a lot of character.
AJKwmed.jpg

SuijFix.jpg

PrApkW8.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is a great deer weather it's your first or 50th. The bonus of a recovered bullet is great too.

Good job helping the young lady get out there and fulfill a dream. I bet she's hooked now!

What a first deer. That rack does seem to have some anomalies to it. Congrats to the young lady on her trophy and toyou for taking her afield to collect it.

Great looking buck especially being her first buck. I’m sure she’s hooked on hunting now. Kudos to you for taking her and I’m sure you enjoyed it just as much as she did.

Great story, photo and deer!! I would get that buck mounted and keep the picture and bullet with it. As a side note great picture, it's composed really nice! Thanks for sharing and congrats

Latest posts

Back