Nikon Omega 3-9x40

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDReed

Reaction score
Any opinions on this scope? I like the idea of a muzzleloader specific BDC reticle and I have a chance to pick one of these up that looks like new for a reasonable price. I know it's an older model but it appears to be the same as the newer "inline xr" model.Thanks

Thanks in advance!

41hHbfMO5HL._AC_SX425_.jpg

They have not made that scope in years and Nikon is no longer making any new scopes. Ive got one and dont like the reticle at all. The eye relief is VERY long also. Make sure you can move your scope far enough forward such as with a 1 piece rail.
https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en....html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs
If you shop around a little you can probably still find a good deal on the Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 with or without their "BDC".

Last edited:
I have 2 nikon inline xr scopes and they are ok but you give up light gathering capability with long eye relief scopes. I have had deer in front of me in a cut corn field that I could see with the naked eye but could not see through the scope on any power. I have a 4.5" eye relief hawke endurance scope that is the same way. It's just something you give up for that eye relief I think. I have a 4" ER nikon monarch 3 that seems to be ok but I havent hunted it yet, put it on a slug gun.

They have not made that scope in years and Nikon is no longer making any new scopes. Ive got one and dont like the reticle at all. The eye relief is VERY long also. Make sure you can move your scope far enough forward such as with a 1 piece rail.
https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en....html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs
If you shop around a little you can probably still find a good deal on the Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 with or without their "BDC".

What is it that you don't like about the reticle? Hard to pinpoint the circles?

Im not a fan of circle BDCs. I would rather have a couple MOA hash marks if i wanted a BDC. ML specific BDCs are almost useless unless you want to shoot the load for that BDC. Might as well get something in MOA and match it upto the load you want to shoot. Better yet a good plex and a scope that tracks well. Exposed elevation knob and dial up when needed.

Im not a fan of circle BDCs. I would rather have a couple MOA hash marks if i wanted a BDC. ML specific BDCs are almost useless unless you want to shoot the load for that BDC. Might as well get something in MOA and match it upto the load you want to shoot. Better yet a good plex and a scope that tracks well. Exposed elevation knob and dial up when needed.

I know the spacing won't be exact but I assumed it would be more appropriate for the trajectory of a muzzleloader.

Maybe I will just go with a burris fullfield II. They are rugged and affordable.

I have several of the Omega's and do like them. I like the older Omega's better than the Inline XR model. The XR's have a greenish hue when viewed at certain angles, I think it's a different lenses coating than what you find on the older Omega. The Omega BDC 250 horizontal part of the crosshair remains fine further from the center point than what you find on the 300 BDC crosshair, I prefer the 300 BDC. I've never had trouble in low light, all mine seem to be bright and clear.

I use Nikon's Spot-On app, it works well. I print out the drop charts and carry them with me, I can also use the app on my iphone in the field.

250 BDC
4DZvrIp.jpg

300 BDC
NycuQMR.jpg

I did send in an Omega to Nikon for replacement/repair a couple of months ago. I have not received anything back yet, everything is on hold because of the virus. It was the oldest Omega I had, it didn't want to hold elevation anymore. I'm guessing that I won't receive the old scope back but will get a new P3 scope.

Burris has a new Sig HD line coming out soon but the cheapest will probably be around $300. Keep an eye on Natchez for sales. Ive seen some huge discounts before. MidwayUSA also blows out some really nice Vortex Vipers HS for between $250 and $300 from time to time. The HS line is more hunter oriented.

Ive seen them sell this one for $250 which is a smoking good deal
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420439467

Burris has a new Sig HD line coming out soon but the cheapest will probably be around $300. Keep an eye on Natchez for sales. Ive seen some huge discounts before. MidwayUSA also blows out some really nice Vortex Vipers HS for between $250 and $300 from time to time. The HS line is more hunter oriented.

Ive seen them sell this one for $250 which is a smoking good deal
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420439467

I actually have one of the Viper HS 2.5-10 brand new in the box and I agree when they are available for $250 it's a killer deal but it seems like more scope than I need for this. The fullfield II is available for ~$135 with the ballistic plex reticle and I'm sure I can do some work to determine what yardages the hashmarks would equate to and be good to 200 or a little more.

I have several of the Omega's and do like them. I like the older Omega's better than the Inline XR model. The XR's have a greenish hue when viewed at certain angles, I think it's a different lenses coating than what you find on the older Omega. The Omega BDC 250 horizontal part of the crosshair remains fine further from the center point than what you find on the 300 BDC crosshair, I prefer the 300 BDC. I've never had trouble in low light, all mine seem to be bright and clear.

I use Nikon's Spot-On app, it works well. I print out the drop charts and carry them with me, I can also use the app on my iphone in the field.

250 BDC
4DZvrIp.jpg

300 BDC
NycuQMR.jpg

I did send in an Omega to Nikon for replacement/repair a couple of months ago. I have not received anything back yet, everything is on hold because of the virus. It was the oldest Omega I had, it didn't want to hold elevation anymore. I'm guessing that I won't receive the old scope back but will get a new P3 scope.

Thank you for the reply, I was curious how to differentiate between the BDC 250 and 300.

Have owned one for many years. Pros- long eye relief. Cons- not very bright - light transmission. And I alway thought even though it’s 40mm obj. It seemed to me a like a FOV of a 32mm. Mine is just a duplex.
Their BDC is worthless IMO. Sub tensions would’ve been a better thought.

Yes, that seems to be a common opinion. I've gone a different direction thanks to the forum input.

I wonder how long before they put an end to the Spot On app?

I’m not a fan of the my Nikon’s BDC Circles either, But truth is i stil haven’t tried them. I to prefer Hash marks, very fine ones

I really wish i had the cash right now for a Veracity but i would also need 30mm rings and i want a regular plex too. So it would end up costing nearly as much as the SWFA SS

Back