Nikon P3 Muzzleloader Scope Eye Relief

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I held one the other day and it sure did feel like 5 inches of eye relief. I asked the rep. to see the manual and it states that the P3 has 5 inches.

All the websites selling the scope, including Nikon, list the eye relief at 3.6 inches. I emailed Nikon and asked what the eye relief is on the scope, Customer Service emailed back that it is 3.6 inches. I asked if they could measure the eye relief on one, they said they already did before they emailed me. I stated, so the manual is wrong? They said yes and put in a notice to that division.

I got an email today stating that direct from Japan, the eye relief on the P3 muzzleloader scope is 5 inches. I was happy to hear that, I like my 5 inches of eye relief:dance2:

I wish it they offered with the nikoplex along with the BDC reticle. Wonder if they would swap the reticles?

FWIW, From BPS data on the discontinued Nikon Muzzleloader XR Inline scope which I have on my V2.

"The Nikon® INLINE XR 3-9x40 Muzzleloader Rifle Scope technology makes 300-yard shots a reality for hunters shooting today's increasingly accurate inline muzzleloaders. Fully multicoated optics provide tremendous light transmission, even in low light conditions. Featuring the patented BDC 300 reticle, this scope can be fully optimized to match the drop of virtually any sabot load with Spot-On Ballistic Match Technology. Giving you 5'' of constant eye relief throughout the magnification range, this scope helps protect your brow with even the heaviest of calibers. Scope also features precision 1/4-MOA adjustments with Spring-Loaded Zero-Reset Turrets and a quick focus eyepiece.

· Nikon quality optimized for modern inline muzzleloaders

· Fully multicoated optics for maximum light transmission, even in extreme low light

· Whopping 5'' of eye relief keeps your brow safe

· Hand-turn reticle adjustments with Spring-Loaded Zero-Reset turrets

· Trajectory-compensating reticle can be optimized to virtually any sabot load

· Wide field of view to keep you on close-in or moving game"

I like the XR scope, I have another one coming in the mail from e-bay. From my research on the P3, Nikon got rid of the rubber on the variable power ring and on the eye focus wheel. I would rather have the rubber on those areas.

Thanks for posting! This is great to know, as I've been leaning towards getting a Nikon P3, but have been a bit hesitant, based on what I've read about 3.6" eye relief scopes. If it really has 5", this pretty much makes my mind up now!

Just be aware depending on the application...5" of relief might require some tinkering to get comfortable. Its a bit much for my Knight DISC rifle. The scope and mounting points are short so ring placement is limited. In my short case 2 piece bases make it a real pain. A longer 1 piece rail base and other rings would make it a whole lot easier.

DNZ sells 1 piece mounts just for this application for some break actions and maybe others too.

Be aware that the Nikon "lifetime guarantee" is only good for the original owner if you have the receipt and the warranty guard. I found this out the hard way. Leupold, on the other hand, has a real lifetime guarantee.

I sent in a Nikon Omega with a pinched tube I bought used. The previous owner over tightened a ring, it still functioned fine. When Nikon made their warranty more inline with Vortex with a no fault policy, I sent it in under warranty and Nikon sent me a brand new XR muzzleloader scope free of charge. This was under two years ago.

Nikon sent me some covers. I wanted to buy them. I told them i bought the scope from a friend. They sent me 2 for free.

Back