Nitride or SS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmhuntr

Reaction score
Need opinions on which barrel is better/resist corrosion and is easier to clean. From what I understand a Nitride barrel is SS just that it has undergone the nitride process which discolors the SS.

Opinions and thoughts appreciated.

.....a Nitride barrel is SS just that it has undergone the nitride process which discolors the SS.......

Well, that is one way to put it. What is interesting about my rifle/scope is the matte scope is a perfect match to the nitride barrel. The end result is very nice looking package.

Thus far the nitride barrel doesn't seem any easier to clean than a stainless barrel, nor was it expected to be. One seemingly noticeable factor is the bolt of the nitride rifle doesn't seem as smoooth operating as the stainless bolt, when opened, and slid.

The nitride rifle cost $45 more, which seems very well worth it.

These days the nitride rifle is the only one being shot much. At first it was difficult to leave it uncleaned over night, then for a day, then for another day. Now, it is common to be left for a few days without cleaning. No issues. The need to clean the breech plug, kinda requires cleaning the barrel too, after 30 or so shots.

Shooting this rifle has been great fun; not so much because it can be left uncleaned without worry, but more because it is being shot without sabot. Shooting without sabot has been a very interesting learning experience, as such it is quite fun.

What went on around here last week, and today, was shooting the rifle a few shots per trip for a few days. Barrel was never swabbed. Rifle was never touched by any type of cleaning. Flame channel wasn't cleaned. Several days have passed; the rifle hasn't been cleaned.

This cavalier treatment of the rifle never could have been done, had it not had a nitride barrel. Blackhorn fouling is known to rust stainless barrels. Leaving a stainless barrel go days without cleaning isn't something this shooter can do. At first it was hard to do with the nitride barrel. No rust has shown thus far on the cleaning patches.

The rifle has been out in teen temperatures, and back into the truck by the heater, and out again, and back by the heater, out in snow, and back in the shop, and back out into the cold cold truck.

It sure is a nice rifle; hope it doesn't get rust pitted..........., don't believe it will.

This is one of my severely neglected Patriot muzzleloaders. Intentional neglect I should say. Always shoots moa groups and never, never, ever does the barrel get cleaned. I shoot BH209 mostly but occasionally smokeless. I cleaned the breech threads and a small area where the powder charge sits in front of the plug to inspect with my bore scope today. After almost 5 years, 400+ rounds, rain, snow, humidity, hunting trips etc and the barrel still appears new.
Nitride is a beautiful thing! It doesn't get any easier than that.

20200211_175750.jpg

This is one of my severely neglected Patriot muzzleloaders. Intentional neglect I should say. Always shoots moa groups and never, never, ever does the barrel get cleaned. I shoot BH209 mostly but occasionally smokeless. I cleaned the breech threads and a small area where the powder charge sits in front of the plug to inspect with my bore scope today. After almost 5 years, 400+ rounds, rain, snow, humidity, hunting trips etc and the barrel still appears new.
Nitride is a beautiful thing! It doesn't get any easier than that.

View attachment 7506
Theres alot to like about your rifles .

sideshow-I just googled "nitride barrel" and a video of a guy that just had his pistol barrel nitrided. Done by K & M blasting, Sylmar, CA, they have a facebk page. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks , i didnt know if somebody had a place known or a favorite one .

Latest posts

Back