No Excuse bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My shoulder hurts already. One box of .54 and .50 cal "sampler pack"
Any suggestions for 2f Swiss loads for the big boys would be helpful.IMG_20200817_093225337.jpgIMG_20200817_093255195.jpg

I agree with the above two statements. Start low, and work your way up. No sense in pounding your shoulder to death for no good reason.

Purchase a pkg. each of .54 &.58 caliber dry wool wads before you start shooting. The cost is minimal, and you will be able to test immediately, whether or not, your barrel prefers a wad under the bullet. The oversized wad, for bore diameter (If you need to use them), also has the advantage of scrubbing/pushing the fouling down on top of the next powder charge, before the bullet is seated.

This should allow for many repeated shots, before needing to wipe the bore with a patch. Especially, if you use something like Trapper's Mink Oil Tallow to lightly lube the bottom of the wad, as in a hunting scenario.

Funny how things seem to happen either at the perfectly right time or the absolutely worst time....
I'm planning on heading to the range with my underhammer build (seen in another thread) tomorrow and today I come across this post. I guess that makes this one of those "right" times...

One of the supplies that I'm planning on taking along is an almost full box of 500, .45 cal., 230 grain, No Excuses, round nose bullets that a friend gave me years ago. I know less than zip about alloys, lead, ballistics and bullets so I'll be at ground zero with regard to testing them.
Wondering if there's any feedback out there on how these might perform on whitetails and targets out to 100 yards. Says that they're cast of a rather hard alloy so that's not what I'm typically shooting. I've always shot pure lead bullets. Recommended starting load advice is also very welcome....

If this post is in any way regarded as a "thread hi-jack", just say the word and I'll delete it and start a new thread. Just thought that we're on the topic so.....

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
In reply to Razor62:
One thing to be cautious of with harder alloys is exactly that- they can be hard. When starting a conical at the muzzle pure soft lead will be much easier than same size 1:20 or 1:40 alloy etc. to start in the bore and to get down the bore. So if you’re bore measures say .451 you can generally force a .453 or even larger of pure lead into and down the barrel. If an alloy bullet is too much over bore size it can be next to impossible to load. Hard alloys can have different POI than their lead counterparts also. For in depth info on this read up on Idaho Lewis here. He’s done tons of testing of shooting, sizing, and pouring alloys

In reply to Razor62:
One thing to be cautious of with harder alloys is exactly that- they can be hard. When starting a conical at the muzzle pure soft lead will be much easier than same size 1:20 or 1:40 alloy etc. to start in the bore and to get down the bore. So if you’re bore measures say .451 you can generally force a .453 or even larger of pure lead into and down the barrel. If an alloy bullet is too much over bore size it can be next to impossible to load. Hard alloys can have different POI than their lead counterparts also. For in depth info on this read up on Idaho Lewis here. He’s done tons of testing of shooting, sizing, and pouring alloys
Thanks Willfish! Closer inspection of the box of bullets upon arriving home from work reveals that they're not "No Excuses" after all.... Made by King Shooter's Supply. Called "Better Bullets"
"Super hard cast alloy bullets" 230 grain, sized to .452".
I'll try to load one of them today and if it gives me any trouble I'll forget about the whole idea. Thanks for your valuable advice

Attachments

• 20200820_100325.jpg
    20200820_100325.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Willfish! Closer inspection of the box of bullets upon arriving home from work reveals that they're not "No Excuses" after all.... Made by King Shooter's Supply. Called "Better Bullets"
"Super hard cast alloy bullets" 230 grain, sized to .452".
I'll try to load one of them today and if it gives me any trouble I'll forget about the whole idea. Thanks for your valuable advice

Those are some seriously hard bullets, somewhere around a BHN of 22. I use those in my 1911 and they seem fine but I'm not so sure they're ML compatible.

If they are that hard you may end up with one stuck at the bore. I’ve done it. Best to measure bore diameter and check bullet diameter. You may be shocked how hard bullets can be. I was. Consider getting some pure lead. Hornady Great Plains in .45 can still be had. There’s a guy on gunbroker who sells all styles n sizes of conicals in pure lead including REAL n others

Thank you gentlemen. I did load just one today and it wasn't a very tight fit. I was out of time so I didn't experiment but I wouldn't expect great accuracy judging by the fit to bore.
I kinda' figured that they were handgun, ACP bullets.
I'll stick to lead bullets.

Yes. double checked what I had and they're not No Excuses bullets. They're "Better Bullets" and they claim to be a "very hard alloy"...

I had problems with similar bullets poking holes in deer that ran off never to be found, I bought a lead hardness tester and found the bullets were extremely hard. Never again... pure lead since then...

Thank you gentlemen. I did load just one today and it wasn't a very tight fit. I was out of time so I didn't experiment but I wouldn't expect great accuracy judging by the fit to bore.
I kinda' figured that they were handgun, ACP bullets.
I'll stick to lead bullets.
Stuff them in sabots and plink with them, if you have a .50. If your barrel twist is very fast, you’ll have to back your powder charge way down. I’d try them out of your .45 also, they might shoot. Their again you’ll probably have to back powder off considerably, like 50-60 grains of BP or BP subs. 300-350 grain range lead bullets out of my 1:20 twist .45 cal White won’t shoot with more than about 70 grains of powder, I have to stay around 60 grains.
If they feel too loose and won’t shoot, try one wrap of Teflon tape. They’ll kill paper, squirrels, and rabbits just fine, if you can get them to shoot that is.

I have found the larger diameter the less felt recoil with the same bullet weight and powder charge. (Pure lead)
70-85gr Swiss should be just fine.
Good luck
9B27AD66-3454-48A9-8FB6-2578609CA259.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back