No Excuses 420g

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NewlyMinted expressed an interest in this 420g No Excuses bullet.

420noexcuse.jpg

It was loaded up with 50 grain Blackhorn powder, and an attempt was made to catch it.

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

On the horse was 3/8" plywood with carpet sample glued, 6 water bottles, and a phone book. The distance between the rifle, and the carpet is 25 yard.

The bullet went through every bottle, and hit the phone book ripping about 1/2" deep, then ended up on the ground about 3 feet behind the horse.

IMG_4046.JPG

417bullet.jpg

Last edited:
Something must be going on if other "pure lead" bullets are mushrooming with similar loads. Looking at the older tests, the HPs seem to be more reliable with the lighter loads. Even Ed's flat point 360gr did not mushroom much with 50gr loads.

IMG_2635.JPG

Ron,

Have you tested any other No Excuse bullets? The 460 perhaps?

How about other big lead bullets with this range and load? Quite honestly, I disappointed.

what about a larger load? a few hundred more fps could change the shroom a lot. or a target more like an animal? fill those jugs with pudding or grease? maybe throw in a few old rib bones. Im just now thinking that I want to shoot a jug full of pudding. Tapioca, cuz its just weird.

Dave here from No Excuses. Was excited to see the field testing. Thank you! I can assure you it's pure, soft lead. Ran the tests on the ingots purchased from Roto metals prior to casting and ran similar hardness tests after the bullets are cast. Wonder if velocity might help any?

It seems more speed would certainly help. What i was considering is drilling into the nose of the bullet, creating a hollow point, then shooting into the bottles with the same powder charge.

Here is a photo of the bullet side by side; feel i was remiss not showing this in the OP.

IMG_4067.JPG

Ron: I’m sure you recall the testing we did with the same bullet at this velocity.. I just kept increasing the size of the HP until we got some expansion (of what you posted above).
I chrono my 50cal 475gr bullet with Ron’s 50grV load at 980fps.
Good testing.
38CA4338-186B-49B8-81FC-F48FC3B339E6.jpeg

Ron: I usually like to go to the end of the ojive/1st groove.
1st was 1/8” straight
2nd was 5/32” taper
3rd, kinda tear drop - photo. The 0.21 is only about 1/16" deep, then the tear drop.
I recall trying to maintain my 475 bulletin weight with all 3.
A09E28BC-3BD3-4FE3-A987-5E3FD0DD270E.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the jugs of water are the best test either. It seems to me, and I'm by no means an expert, but wouldn't the water substantially slow the bullet down prior to meeting with any meaningful media (ballistic gel, wet phone books, whitetail sweet spot, etc....). The jugs of water are cool to watch but unsure of it's density usability. Thoughts?

The first thing it went through should have made it expand. Solid slugs do't expand like people think. Flat nose or not. Here is a good example , was taken from a deer I shot 300 yds. 650 grn, swaged from a .5020190307_194239.jpglength ways

I'm not sure that the jugs of water are the best test either. It seems to me, and I'm by no means an expert, but wouldn't the water substantially slow the bullet down prior to meeting with any meaningful media (ballistic gel, wet phone books, whitetail sweet spot, etc....). The jugs of water are cool to watch but unsure of it's density usability. Thoughts?

Dave, In light of your concerns, the idea to try your bullet with an added hollow point is dropped.

Me, i have no opinion about the best/worst media for to catch bullets. However, i do know the use of the water bottles is economical compared to other type media. Using the water bottles was expeditious when assembling over 125 bullet traps. Using water bottles allowed assembling over 125 identical bullet traps, which is very critical. If the traps aren't identical; results would be meaningless. See HERE

Ed: did you watch both videos that Ron has provided?

Back