no excuses sabots/bullets ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
i've got a .50 cal. 2003 SS CVA optima and i think i've narrowed my bullet choices down to no excuses .
i'll be ordering their sizing pack to order full bore bullets next time but i think i want to try their saboted bullets for my initial order .

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product-category/sabots/?orderby=price
my questions are .....
are all their .50 sabots the same size ?
what do the different colors represent different ?
do their boat tails shoot flatter or more accurately than their flat base bullets ?
i'm guessing ..... the .400 in the .50 cal. sabots can offer better BC than the .451 in sabots , but is that something that a total newbie to muzzle loading will notice at modest distance ?
i'm thinking something in the 250-300 grain weight for deer ..... ?

i'll be mostly target shooting to learn my ML this summer but i do plan on hunting deer this fall in the beautiful mountains of southwest Va . and it will probably be rare that i'll be shooting 100 yards or more in a hunting situation . what ever range i can consistently stay within a 3 inch group will be my max hunting distance .

thanks folks , jeff

are all their .50 sabots the same size ?
No, they are not the same loaded OD. The Red Crushrib for example is much thicker than the rest.

do their boat tails shoot flatter or more accurately than their flat base bullets ?
Not at any range or fps you will achieve. The difference is super tiny

i'm guessing ..... the .400 in the .50 cal. sabots can offer better BC than the .451 in sabots , but is that something that a total newbie to muzzle loading will notice at modest distance ?
You will never see much of a difference at the ranges you mentioned. Personally i find it easier to get a 50x45 to shoot well vs a 50x40. If you want to shoot 40cal bullets buy a 45cal rifle.

I shoot a 50 cal cva optima v2 mzl with a 40 cal sabot and a 180 grain hp with 90 grains of blackhorn 209 powder with a fed209a primer.At 50-75 yards it is as deadly on deer as you want to be.I think it depends on what you want out of that load.

Latest posts

Back