No lead to be found

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current prices at our local scrap yard they are paying 0.48 for lead, and 0.15 for wheel weights. We can buy from them for double those prices.

Yep definitely Lino-type, the best for pistol bullets.

Been looking for lead I could use to cast my own bullets. Since cast iron pipe is no longer used there is no use for plumbers lead and none of the supply houses have it. The 1/4" lead wire listed on some of the big tackle supply places are NLA. Any suggestions as to where to look for pure lead, not wheel weights?
I have lots 5+ Lb Ingots. I'm in Maine How about $12.00 per ingot?
Nit Wit

I have 22 lbs coming from a fellow member. Thanks for the offers and will keep your names on file for down the road. Will check with the local little scrap yard and see if he gets any in. Plumb Supply places haven't sold lead in many, many years. Plastic pipe took that away. There is lead out there if one can find it. Usually the shipping is the killer. Local range does not allow anyone down range any time for liability reasons. Indoor, air controled 8" concrete walls.

I’ve bought a lot off of eBay. Just make sure that the add says pure lead, or above 98%. If you watch you can buy it for $1.90 a pound With free shipping. You can always make a counter offer to.

I got lucky and came across 3 pure lead elevator weights about 7 years ago.

I was building a theater in DC and they were demoing a high rise across the street. Just picked them up out of a pile of trash and set them in the truck.

They must be 200lbs a piece. I think I have one and a half left.

I go to my local pistol range. Go with a scoop net like for fish and a bucket. free and make friends there too.
cu
pb

I won't buy lead that I can't test. I have seen bars of lead in gun stores for sale. I go in with my Cabine Tree tester and tell them I will test all their lead and mark the hardness of each bar. The ones that I want I ask them to take a little off for me doing the testing.
I have bought a lot that way. I got some lead off ebay once and it was 18 BHN hard. Pure is 5 BHN hard. That broke me of buying without testing.

Back