Non-ML deer rifles?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackpowder72 said:
I'm in slug muzzleloader state and the 450 bushmaster is really tripping my trigger.

OH OH......... The .450 Bushmaster is a really nice round. More and more manufacturers are now building them. It can be exceptionally accurate. A couple of us on the site have them.

Ruger has a couple 450BMs starting at a MSRP under $600. They can be found for much less though (around $450). Savage has one too but its a pig of a rifle for its size and cost more. CVA has a single shot for under $300.

Sorta cool for a sub $450 rifle.
38303-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Depends on where I'm going. If going to hunt open canyons with longer shots (500 yards or less at my ability level) then I usually take the 25/06 or 7mm/08 since they are set up for it and dialed into my shooting app. If hunting timber, then I usually grab the 30/06.
I pretty much exclusively hunt with the bow or black powder though anymore, the above guns only come out when it gets down to the wire and I want to increase my range for more opportunity.
25/06 is a Ruger Mark I, synthetic stock with 26" stainless heavy barrel.
7mm/08 is a Remmington 700, synthetic, 24" matte barrel. Stock has been dipped in Reaper woods.
30/06 is my dads first gun he bought when 16 years old, Remmington 721, with 26" barrel. This old gun has taken A LOT of game in its day. I have no idea how many deer he shot with it, and several elk too. I was present for several of them when I was a kid.

Just bagged my first deer with my Tikka T3 stainless in .270 with a Bushnell Elite scope. It’ll be the last deer I buy (until I buy another one, of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autovon said:
Just bagged my first deer with my Tikka T3 stainless in .270 with a Bushnell Elite scope. It’ll be the last deer I buy (until I buy another one, of course).

Congrats!

ENCORE50A said:
Congrats!

Thanks! Got one last year with a 300 BLK and it dropped in its tracks at 90 yds. With the .270 at the same range, she ran 100 yds. Was really surprised. Shot placement is quite important!

Man I just love my browning stainless abolt in 25WSSM. The lil gun for Florida has what I need. I also have 44- deerfielder, love it too. My other favorite is a 300 Savage Remington pump. Ok I have too many favorites!

Have recently had an attack of the fickles. Savage 99 gone in favor of a very nice 1987 production Remington 7600 .30-06. NIB condition and VERY accurate. Fits me very well and no rattles ( despite reputations to the contrary).
Will be using a 170 grain flat point at 2450 fps. Full throttle 06 not being necessary around here. Besides, I have to get used to 06 recoil again. Been awhile...

Confederate rifleman said:
Have recently had an attack of the fickles. Savage 99 gone in favor of a very nice 1987 production Remington 7600 .30-06. NIB condition and VERY accurate. Fits me very well and no rattles ( despite reputations to the contrary).
Will be using a 170 grain flat point at 2450 fps. Full throttle 06 not being necessary around here. Besides, I have to get used to 06 recoil again. Been awhile...

Is this Savage 99 the same one you titled “A New Friend” back in July? If so, It sure doesn’t take you long to part ways with a new friend :lol:

LaTuFu said:
Howa 243. My youngest killed his first deer with it.

Nothing wrong with those Howa Rifles :yeah: I have owned a Couple of them over the years, Good Guns. I currently have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I really like now that i have it in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock. The Weatherby Vanguard is Built by Howa for Weatherby

I have been very pleased with the build quality of the gun. It was a great value for the money.

I have been pleased with the performance of the scope that came with the combo (so far). I never expect too much out of "combo" scopes, I usually look at them as an eventual upgrade once it stops holding zero. I've had this gun for 4-5 years now and its still a tack driver, so I have no plans to replace the scope any time soon.

This one has me drooling. 5.6lbs and 6.5x55. It pricey but thats a ton of rifle for $1500. Barret bought some of the old equipment from the failed Forbes Rifles LLC. The stock is basically a New Ultra Light Arms stock but made by Barret. A NULA in 6.5 will set you back well over $3000 so $1500 is a bargain.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Barrett-Field ... 16776.aspx

24" Barrel
Sorbothane recoil pad
Optimized bolt design
Scaled actions; Timney trigger
Adjustable single plane optics mounting 5 #8-40 screw holes
Talley scope mounts
Hand-laid carbon fiber stock
Blind magazine
Match-grade stainless steel barrel
Two-position safety

Caliber 6.5x55 Swede
Capacity 4 Rd
Operation Bolt Action Repeater
Barrel Twist 1 in 8"
Overall Length, in 44.3"
Barrel Length, in 24"
Weight, lbs 5.6

Just bought a Savage 110 fcp-sr 308 black Friday. My Leupold vx3I 3.5-10x40 CDs arrived today. Now just waiting on super slow shipping amazon to send the warne rings I ordered :wall:

First rifle for me that isn't a. 22lr or pellet rifle :). Excited to test it out. Will have to finish this season with the muzzleloader though

sawtoothscream said:
Just bought a Savage 110 fcp-sr 308 black Friday. My Leupold vx3I 3.5-10x40 CDs arrived today. Now just waiting on super slow shipping amazon to send the warne rings I ordered :wall:

First rifle for me that isn't a. 22lr or pellet rifle :). Excited to test it out. Will have to finish this season with the muzzleloader though

Clean that New Rifle just like you would a REALLY Dirty Gun, Do this Before you shoot it. A new rifle bore is coated with Grease, You should remove all of that from the Bore before firing it. Get yourself a Good 1 piece Cleaning Rod, a Bore Guide, a good Jag and Brush, And Some Boretech Eliminator.

Boretech eliminator, Best Cleaning product by Far i have ever used for Centerfire

https://www.boretech.com/products/elimi ... re-cleaner

Bore Guide, Replace the Bolt with the Bore Guide, Now you can Push the Gunk straight out of the barrel and not worry about getting it in the Action, I like the Guides like this one that has a Built in Solvent port, just push the Patched Jag in until it enters the port, Squeeze a Little Boretech eliminator on the Patch and Push it down the Bore :yeah:

https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-LLC-Unive ... B07JL651VC

Pro shot makes a good 1 piece Cleaning Rod, all of my Centerfire cleaning stuff is Pro-Shot. Tipton is top of the line as well, Dewey is Good, Several good choices. If i were to do it again i would Go Tipton. 36” 27-45 Cal for your .308

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/19031 ... rbon-fiber

I have used 1 of these MTM Cleaning centers for MANY Years, i can keep everything i need to clean in it, and it Holds my Rifle securely while i clean it

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Portable-Sho ... B000BUAPOU

Idaholewis said:
sawtoothscream said:

Clean that New Rifle just like you would a REALLY Dirty Gun, Do this Before you shoot it. A new rifle bore is coated with Grease, You should remove all of that from the Bore before firing it. Get yourself a Good 1 piece Cleaning Rod, a Bore Guide, a good Jag and Brush, And Some Boretech Eliminator.

Boretech eliminator, Best Cleaning product by Far i have ever used for Centerfire

https://www.boretech.com/products/elimi ... re-cleaner

Bore Guide, Replace the Bolt with the Bore Guide, Now you can Push the Gunk straight out of the barrel and not worry about getting it in the Action, I like the Guides like this one that has a Built in Solvent port, just push the Patched Jag in until it enters the port, Squeeze a Little Boretech eliminator on the Patch and Push it down the Bore :yeah:

https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-LLC-Unive ... B07JL651VC

Pro shot makes a good 1 piece Cleaning Rod, all of my Centerfire cleaning stuff is Pro-Shot. Tipton is top of the line as well, Dewey is Good, Several good choices. If i were to do it again i would Go Tipton. 36” 27-45 Cal for your .308

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/19031 ... rbon-fiber

I have used 1 of these MTM Cleaning centers for MANY Years, i can keep everything i need to clean in it, and it Holds my Rifle securely while i clean it

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Portable-Sho ... B000BUAPOU

Cleaned it yesterday, found out fast the 2x2 patches listed as 308 don't work with my tipman jag. Had to chop them to 11/4 before I could get them through.

Took awhile but good to go, just need to grab some loctite or clear nail polish for the base screws and buy ammo.

Will check out the cleaner you listed. I used hoppes 9 and sweets.

sawtoothscream said:
I used hoppes 9 and sweets.

That Sweets is some Sweet smelling stuff huh? :lol: Barnes CR-10 is the Same Way, VERY HEAVY Ammonia. Kesselring’s Gun Shop on the Wa Coast converted me over to Bore Tech Eliminator years ago, up until then i was a Barnes CR-10 Guy for Copper removal. My Friend, And Owner of the Gun Shop (Ron Kesselringj Was a small bore champion shooter, Ron Swore by Bore Tech Eliminator over CR-10 and Sweets, BT Eliminator does the exact same thing, and just as efficiently as the other 2, Except it actually Smells Pleasant, and is Safe to be left in the Bore, in fact they recommend after a Thorough cleaning to Run a Saturated Patch of Eliminator through the Bore before Storing your Rifle. GOOD STUFF! Look, and Read the Reviews on it :yeah:

Idaholewis said:
sawtoothscream said:
I used hoppes 9 and sweets.

That Sweets is some Sweet smelling stuff huh? :lol: Barnes CR-10 is the Same Way, VERY HEAVY Ammonia. Kesselring’s Gun Shop on the Wa Coast converted me over to Bore Tech Eliminator years ago, up until then i was a Barnes CR-10 Guy for Copper removal. My Friend, And Owner of the Gun Shop (Ron Kesselringj Was a small bore champion shooter, Ron Swore by Bore Tech Eliminator over CR-10 and Sweets, BT Eliminator does the exact same thing, and just as efficiently as the other 2, Except it actually Smells Pleasant, and is Safe to be left in the Bore, in fact they recommend after a Thorough cleaning to Run a Saturated Patch of Eliminator through the Bore before Storing your Rifle. GOOD STUFF! Look, and Read the Reviews on it :yeah:

yeah that stuff is aweful smelling.

Does the eliminator take the place of hoppes as well? Can just use that for the whole job?

sawtoothscream said:
Does the eliminator take the place of hoppes as well? Can just use that for the whole job?

Bore Tech Eliminator will do it all :yeah: I have been using it for years now, i could not imagine going back to the Harsh Barnes CR-10, or Sweets after using this BT Eliminator, Like i previously stated, BT Eliminator does EVERYTHING the Harsh Ammonia cleaners do, But it Doesn’t Stink doing it! It actually has a Pleasant smell. And to top it off, BT Eliminator is Safe and Recommended to leave in the Bore, You would NOT want to do that with the Harsh Ammonia Cleaners like Sweets and Barnes CR-10

Idaholewis said:
sawtoothscream said:

Bore Tech Eliminator will do it all :yeah: I have been using it for years now, i could not imagine going back to the Harsh Barnes CR-10, or Sweets after using this BT Eliminator, Like i previously stated, BT Eliminator does EVERYTHING the Harsh Ammonia cleaners do, But it Doesn’t Stink doing it! It actually has a Pleasant smell. And to top it off, BT Eliminator is Safe and Recommended to leave in the Bore, You would NOT want to do that with the Harsh Ammonia Cleaners like Sweets and Barnes CR-10

I'll give it a shot, not stinking up the house with hoppes will be worth a little more.

Back