Northern Virginia No difference Garden Food Plot

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

one-shot

Supporter
Supporter
Here in Northern Virginia there is little difference between a Garden Flower/food and a food plot. A bird feeder or Squirrel feeder and a Bear feeder. Here in the town of Warrenton, we get a bear or two in our neighborhood , twice a year. When they kick the cubs out and when food gets short in the winter, about now. They do a little damage and cause a fuss\, that's about it.
Now deer are a different story. They are clearly mindful of who grows what and where.
Leaf Greens are first on their list, then yellow and green squash. They start on my FUYU persimmons as soon as possible. I still have onions in the ground as well as carrots, but they are bothered little. I tie my tomato cages together to make a solid wall/three sides. What they can reach are gone, but I plant lots of extra.
We need a few more cases of Lyme or rocky mountain spotted fever around here and maybe we can slow the train down. I plant three times what I need or to give away.

michiganmuzzy

Supporter
Supporter
Can you get a crop damage deer permit? Wack a couple with a bow or crossbow to thin em out a bit.

one-shot

Supporter
Supporter
No I cant, I'm here in town, but on the edge. Going to get one of those air rifle crossbows or one of the 50 cal air rifles. I was hoping that the last administration would be suppressor friendly, but did not happen. I grow extra on my half acre. Only one of my adjoining neighbors is not converted, all the rest like the produce and deer meat.

one-shot

Supporter
Supporter
Expect a major jump in fertilizer prices.
"Anhydrous Ammonia Prices Climb 60% Since Fall"
Glad to see the Daffodils coming up.
This year I'm going to try Jerusalem artichokes again in a raised bed. last time was 40 years ago. Still have onions, sage, rosemary, some greens.

rugerbh103

I'm not far from you, in Linden. If I didn't fence my garden in i'd have nothing left. We have two apple trees. Between the bears deer, and squirrels we rarely get any.

one-shot

Supporter
Supporter
Progress, 50 tomato plants in so far. I wire the cages together or they get pushed over. I have Japanese Persimmons FUYU. I can even smell them when ripe. Pepper plants are just going in. I use a lot in deer meat. Four raised beds and Patio plants.

one-shot

Supporter
Supporter
For those of you that try to save some of your harvest (Garden/Game) Jerusalem artichokes are a neat little tubular type root that looks/tastes like a water chestnut, and is great in salads and fried. Simple to grow and store. Just keep out any type of ground rats (Moles ect). I have no clue where it got its name.

Latest posts