Not a BP ML but an air rifle: (few yrs ago)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found the photo of my biggest one.. my grandson took me hunting that day! The big one that didn't get away,, I never knew he was within 100 miles of my place when he snuck in right at dark,, I had had surgery on my ankle so parked my 4wheeler at my ladder to the blind,, 1st sight of him, he was 10yds away looking at my 4 wheeler.. but we got him on the day after thanksgiving when i didn't want to go because it was so hot that evening, & didn't dream of seeing a deer!
pap10air.jpg

What air rifle is that? How many shots per PCP fill? Nice bucks. I'm jealous.

What air rifle is that? How many shots per PCP fill? Nice bucks. I'm jealous.
sorry for so long in reply!! This is a Haley custom 45cal,,, but i rebuilt it put a tungsten hammer instead of steel (twice as heavy as steel, & allows more air upon air valve stem strike. ) installed new stainless bolt, & new TJ barrel (i built the new hammer and bolt, & chambered & fitted the new tj barrel) . Mr. Haley was very sick with cancer when he built it, & it needed touching up,, but i like it.. (3 shots,, (3rd is much much slower than first couple, its not "regulated") The stock was done on Mr. Haley's duplicator from a Rope Cherry blank i had,, he said it ruined the router blade on the duplicator because the wood is so hard!. Shot 300 grain hard cast bullet, because,, without full penetration, there is no blood trail! (learned the hard way).. I prefer high shoulder shot, which breaks the spine & drops em.. the smaller one took a finishing shot behind the ear.. Anybody shooting big game past 50 yds is really pushing it with air! It is amazing when first timers shoot it,, they never expect the loud boom from an air rifle.. (when i got it there were virtually no good big bore's mass produced,, now however, there are a few good ones, probably even better than this one.) ballistics similar to 45acp or light/medium 45colt loads.

Last edited:
I definitely can confirm these big bore airrifles are awesome. Had an extremebigboreairifle from Brent and still have an XP-Airrifle .308 which is a great piece of engineering.
Dan @ XP also offers a ML version up to .72 caliber.

Complete different story for sure to BP or SML muzzies but lot of clean fun :)

I definitely can confirm these big bore airrifles are awesome. Had an extremebigboreairifle from Brent and still have an XP-Airrifle .308 which is a great piece of engineering.

"Clean" for sure,, no burned powder, & get no leading at all,, I've shot some sabot rounds that did leave a little plastic,, & interesteingly long very small diameter threads, kind of like streamers flying out upon the shot!!.. I bet a 72 would drop a deer or hog!..

those are excellent,, i had suspected he bought Haley's equipment after Jack died, but really don't know.(seems like originally he had a thumbhole stock version that looked just like mine?)... He's improved the design from mine. (i would like to add an air gauge but do fine without it). Since shoebox compressors have closed, I'll have to get a new compressor before too long if i wish to keep shooting it. I keep mine in breech loading mode now since i've got some good ML's.

Shoebox closed...? Didn't hear that. I don't have one but heard that they are nice.
Yeah, the airrifle with bigger caliber is something you should keep, if you have one.
In my case it's the other way around - owned some nice airrifles (for sure kept my XP and a .45 pistol from Dennis Quackenbush) and now like to get into smokeless ML :)

Shoebox closed...? Didn't hear that. I don't have one but heard that they are nice.
Yeah, the airrifle with bigger caliber is something you should keep, if you have one.
In my case it's the other way around - owned some nice airrifles (for sure kept my XP and a .45 pistol from Dennis Quackenbush) and now like to get into smokeless ML :)
I had it for sale for $1500, then noticed the extreme big bores cost $1400, so decided i would just keep it,,. I was going to order something for the shoebox & looked for the web site to find it was closed.. don't know how long though,, they needed "maintenance" occasionally, regularly..

I have a shoebox i used about 8 times. Thought about putting it on ebay. It is a pain in the rear to connect it to my air compressor for the primary source.

Latest posts

Back