Not so new

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooster85

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I have an in-line, CVA Acura MR, and it’s probably my favorite rifle to hunt with but I’ve always wanted a traditional muzzleloader so I e decided to pick one up and dive further down the rabbit hole but I’d also like to shoot more than just patch and round ball.
so from what I understand a faster twist will allow me to shoot modern projectiles and I’m curious if that means the Hornady SSTs that I shoot out of my CVA? Thank you and I apologize if this is a simple answer that I’ve been overthinking!

Welcome aboard Modern Muzzleloader!

As mentioned, the 1:48 can stabilize sabots and conicals however I think that a faster rate will do better for you. I'm not too familiar with current sidelocks anymore but I think there are some available in a 1:28 rate and that would be plenty good for a strictly bullet/sabot gun.

I have a 1:48 Renegade in .54 cal and shoot a 300 grain, 50 cal XTP with sabots from it and inside the 100 yard arena it does very well. To be honest this is the only bullet combo I've shot from it and I only shoot paper with it, but have zero hold-ups as far as hunting deer with it. Sabots are very doable at 1:48.

Good morning everyone! I have an in-line, CVA Acura MR, and it’s probably my favorite rifle to hunt with but I’ve always wanted a traditional muzzleloader so I e decided to pick one up and dive further down the rabbit hole but I’d also like to shoot more than just patch and round ball.
so from what I understand a faster twist will allow me to shoot modern projectiles and I’m curious if that means the Hornady SSTs that I shoot out of my CVA? Thank you and I apologize if this is a simple answer that I’ve been overthinking!
That's correct. A round ball needs the slowest rifling twist for best accuracy. Conicals and sabots need a faster twist. Like deermanok stated, a 1:48" twist will usually work for most conicals but a faster twist is needed for some heavier conicals and some sabots. Most modern inlines have a 1:28" twist rate.
For what it's worth, the Lyman Great Plains Hunter has a 1:32" rifling twist, which should be fast enough for the vast majority of conicals and sabots (to include the Hornady SST).
There may be others out there that are faster, but that's the fastest twist rate I've personally seen on a mass produced traditional muzzleloader.

Thanks for the replies! Ive been looking at the Lyman online, seems most places are out of stock on back order. I’ll pick one up sooner or later!

Keep in mind if you get a faster twist sidelock you won't be able to shoot a PRB. Which is what a sidelock is all about.

You could put a wood stock on your inline to satisfy your traditional urge.

Keep in mind if you get a faster twist sidelock you won't be able to shoot a PRB. Which is what a sidelock is all about.

You could put a wood stock on your inline to satisfy your traditional urge.
Do tell. Is this written somewhere? Maybe someone should ring up old Ned Roberts and let him know that he’s been doing it wrong.

What about a lubed "maxi-ball"? I think we shot them out of 1:48 twist barrel... Is that ok?

What about a lubed "maxi-ball"? I think we shot them out of 1:48 twist barrel... Is that ok?
Good grief man!!!:eek:

Yes. They’re just fine. Not traditional enough for some people but elongated bullets have been around nearly as long as round balls and the maxi balls have killed a train car load of game.

Good, cause that is my plan for next season. I've been away from trad muzzle loading for a good while. Built my first one in 1976. Killed a buck in '77. Maxi-ball over 80grv of...some kind of black powder... Ha! I have no idea what we were using then. Not 777 I know that.
Also thinking about using my traditions pistol on one.

Rooster, you're being given partial answers here from the MM Fraternity: The way you're *supposed* to do it is go buy an old T/C Hawken or Renegade. Then get 16 different barrels for it in various lengths, calibers, and twist rates. That way you're covered for Sabots, Conicals, Patched Round Balls, Unpatched round balls, patched ovals, gravel, twigs, berries...

We will all be in the peanut gallery, cheering you on!

giphy (6).gif

Rooster, you're being given partial answers here from the MM Fraternity: The way you're *supposed* to do it is go buy an old T/C Hawken or Renegade. Then get 16 different barrels for it in various lengths, calibers, and twist rates. That way you're covered for Sabots, Conicals, Patched Round Balls, Unpatched round balls, patched ovals, gravel, twigs, berries...

We will all be in the peanut gallery, cheering you on!

View attachment 12629
JC has summed it up nicely.

Latest posts

Back