Novice Questions, Bullet Weight and Charge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Michigan, da Thumb
Supporting member
Reaction score
As a long time nitro reloader for centerfires ~50 years or so, but a novice with BP, I'm finding that this blackpowder reloading is a whole new ballgame. Trying to wrap in my head around a couple points that are somewhat not making much sense in my head. Couple questions I have:

1. Re Bullet Weight. As I understand, it doesn't matter what bullet weight you use. For instance, if using BH209 and any bullet, your charge can be volume 120 / 84 by weight or whatever. The weight of the bullet can be 250, or 290, or some other weight. Comparing to Nitro, bullet weight plays an important role in your charge weights.

2. Re Volume vs Weighing. I used a powder measure to get close to 80 grains, then trickled in the last bit to exactly 80 weighed on an RCBS 5-0-5 Scale. I know just being consistent is half the battle, i.e., just do everything the same every time. Is this an acceptable method or am I making it too complicated and is it better, or easier for lack of a better term, to just drop by volume?

I'm thinking everyone will get their own system down pat based on what works for them. There may not be a one best method for all. I imagine I'll just experiment and see what works best for me. I'm just having a hard time accepting bullet weight, and then the powder measure, especially for 80+ grain loads.

For ref, I'll be using an old Rem 700 SS, 50 Cal, Leu Scope, converted to BH209 (Badger Ridge), Federal 209A primers, and going to start with Hornady SST 250gr Sabot and Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ 290gr Sabot bullets, with 80gr BH209 by weight, which comes to about 105 by volume in the vial. Hope I'm on the right track, but if not I'm all ears, thanks in advance for any comments.

63 weighed grains of 209 is the 90 grain by volume equivalent. 70 by weight = 100 by volume. 77 by weight = 110 by volume. 84 by weight =120 by volume. your 80 grains by weight would =about 115 by volume. According to Western Powders calculations. However, different lot numbers of the bh209 powder can vary from that due to each lot's powder density . Its always a good idea to fill a volume measure, then weigh it. Do this ten times and average out the weights to determine what 90, 100, 110 and/or 120 grains by volume will actually weigh.

It isn't always the beneficial to shoot close to the max powder charge regardless of bullet weight. In most circles using a break action or drop action or bolt the best accuracy often falls right into the 100 - 110 grain by volume range....or 70 -77 by weight, and sometimes as light as 63 by weight or 90 grains by volume. The bullets and weight range are common. Lots of people lean on 300 grain pills and those who are shooting big lead conicals can get right into the 400-450 grain range but often use less powder as the big bullets equal big recoil. In my V2 Accura I use a weighed charge of 77 grains with a black crush rib sabot and a 250 grain Barnes XPB bullet and get sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

Play with different weights of powder charge or the volumetric equivalent as well as bullet weights and sabots and you'll fall into a combination that pleases you.

Last edited:
1. Re Bullet Weight. As I understand, it doesn't matter what bullet weight you use. For instance, if using BH209 and any bullet, your charge can be volume 120 / 84 by weight or whatever. The weight of the bullet can be 250, or 290, or some other weight. Comparing to Nitro, bullet weight plays an important role in your charge weights.
Don't assume bullet weight isn't important. Assume the maximum recommended charges are for the heaviest bullets. That way the maximum charge will for sure be safe to use for the lighter bullets.

Simple, but not optimum.

Thank you both for your thoughts, got it, time to throw some lead downrange and sort it out. Blackhorn is getting hard to find, whenever I see a bottle I need to start snagging and hoarding, lol.

Thank you both for your thoughts, got it, time to throw some lead downrange and sort it out. Blackhorn is getting hard to find, whenever I see a bottle I need to start snagging and hoarding, lol.
Check out your local Walmart...they have it here in all my local stores for just under $37 a 10 oz. bottle.

I’m a longtime reloader myself. l’ll just add that black powder(and substitutes) are much more forgiving when it comes to powder charges verses bullet weight. Often there is a larger gray area toward max charges, usually not needed anyway.

I just stay at or below recommend charges, no adverse issues. For me I use a max of 120 grains by volume in my Knights, normally settle at 110-115.

Back