O-Ring QRBP CVA?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting a fair amount of fouling on the firing pin area in my Optima, using Federal 209A with BH…I’ve read a bunch of posts on here about using o-rings…I just want to make sure I understand, you place an o-ring in the primer pocket- just lay it there or push it in? Can somebody who does this post a picture of what the breech plug looks like with the 0-ring in place. Any o-ring brand/size particularly recommended?

I bought some of those o rings to use on my Optima pistol.
After the first shot, I reloaded and discovered that the hammer wouldn't cock back.
Took my pocket knife and pried out the o ring. The gun would cock fine again.
I don't know what caused this problem?

The rifle won't cock because the locking mechanism isn't fully closed, because the o-ring made the head space too small. Snap the action closed with a little vigor, compressing the o-ring a little more, may fully close the action. A shorter primer may help.

I know that I closed the action good but I will experiment with a different primer.
It's just odd that it worked fine for only 1 shot.

I bought some of those o rings to use on my Optima pistol.
After the first shot, I reloaded and discovered that the hammer wouldn't cock back.
Took my pocket knife and pried out the o ring. The gun would cock fine again.
I don't know what caused this problem?
Screw the firing pin bushing in a little more.

I do to but if that doesn’t work Deermonuk can just tweek his firing pin bushing in a bit.

When using a fresh o-ring its not uncommon to have to snap the gun closed with just a bit of authority the first couple of shots.

When using a fresh o-ring its not uncommon to have to snap the gun closed with just a bit of authority the first couple of shots.
This is true but deermanok sounded like he had a different problem.

Exactly, my gun wouldn't cock with the oring in place. The gun worked fine after I removed it.
I tried my Accura with the bushing screwed out just enough to stop blow by, i just never felt comfortable with it that way. It never moved or gave me any problems, i just kept worrying about it, til i went and screwed it in and went back to the o-rings.

I'll have to fool around with it soon as I get a chance.
Cva makes a shim kit to shim out the firing pin housing I had blow by . Put about. 06 or until you have about .04 crush on the primer length no more blow by the breach area stays nice and clean now. Also put a new firing pin and spring and new bushing. You need a venire caliper to get the proper depth of head space for primer pocket

I used a shim kit years ago for my accura v1 but switched to the primer pocket oring sense then because the centerfire frames don’t have a adjustable firing pin bushing plus I think it’s cleaner. My cva wolf has the 209 pocket oring.

Latest posts

Back