Obsolete cartridges/rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I load for an 8mm Label, it’s a S.S. rifle made by Remington for the French military, 1917 or so. My son likes to shoot it, periodically, so I don’t need a whole bunch of rounds. I have two rifles in 284 Winchester I normally use for deer. It’s not impossible to find ammo for them, though I have plenty of components for reloading.

7.7 Japanese for use in a Type 99 LMG.
Made from .30-06 brass (some brands have overlapping head diameter to original Japanese.) Form, trim off a LOT of brass, anneal and you are good to go.

I load for an 8mm Label, it’s a S.S. rifle made by Remington for the French military, 1917 or so. My son likes to shoot it, periodically, so I don’t need a whole bunch of rounds. I have two rifles in 284 Winchester I normally use for deer. It’s not impossible to find ammo for them, though I have plenty of components for reloading.
.284 Winchester is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Also accompanies me on my treks to the deer woods. That or my .358 Winchester. 2 great cartridges.

358Win and 260Rem never saw the popularity they should have seen imo. While neither is really obsolete they are both very much under appreciated. I would love a nice ultra light rifle in either one. Remington chose to go with the 350Mag in the old 600/660s and it would beat you to death. The 358Win would have been ideal in a rifle like that. Same can be said for the 260Rem vs the 6.5Rem Mag....WTF were they thinking?
https://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win_mystery.htmhttps://www.chuckhawks.com/26cal.htm

Last edited:
I have a Ruger 77 (Tang safety) in .358 Win with its little pencil barrel and walnut stock, its nice and light. Fantastic round for Bear. I also have a rifle in .250 Ackley Improved, had a .280 Ackley, and have one set up in .22-250 Ackley. Then got the Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster too.

Around 1990, the boy and i decided to design the perfect elk rifle for the conditions we hunted in central Montana.

Mine started as a Ruger 77 MkII ultra light what ever it was called, in 308 caliber. Took it to a smith for a barrel exchange to .358, and he reamed the chamber to 358 Winchester. Barrel length was made 19". Hand loaded 225g Nosler Partition bullets. Rifle was a short light freezer filler that dropped elk. Probably killed 9 elk with the 358, before moving here. Sold the rifle to a poor kid when we moved.

Have fond memories of hunting with the 358 Winchester, and it certainly isn't obsolete.

I’ve a Winchester model 100 in .284 it’s a very light semi-auto. Shoots well.
In the model 88 lever they made a .358 win magnum. Have never seen one. I bet you it’s a shoulder buster because the gun is light.

Back when I got my Ruger 77 in .358 win I had been searching for the Win 88. Those things were sort of rare and bring in something like $1500, crazy what they were getting for those.
Not sure about now but Browning was chambering the BLR in .358 win too.

Have fond memories of hunting with the 358 Winchester, and it certainly isn't obsolete.

No but finding a bolt action rifle chambered in it does not leave many options. Its basically been forgotten and the 35 Whelen lived on. When one wants to make a lighter rifle, using a long action certainly does not help.

I have my Grandparents rifles. Both in .25 Rem Gram's was a model 8 and Grampa's was a model 14. I have killed deer with both.
Nit Wit
I have my wife's grandfathers Remington 141 chambered in 30 Rem. Just got a set of used RCBS dies for it. They were dear indeed costing me over $100, I have several boxes of brass for it though. Then I have her Great Grandfathers Winchester 1894 that was made in 1925. Chambered in 32-40 it was not hard to find dies or new ammo for being that caliber is used in cowboy action shooting. I have some other cool ones but these two have family history.

Winchester 1903 in .22 Winchester Automatic Rimfire. Low serial # if I remember correctly.
Waiting for CCI to make a run of ammunition, someday.

How about 25 Stevens rimfire? I have an old single shot chambered in that and six boxes of old original ammo for it.
Marlin 1894 made in 1904 chambered in 38-40. Not hard to find ammo for it due to cowboy action shooters.
Ruger Hawkeye only 3300 made in 1963 chambered in 256 Winchester Mag. Neck down .357 Mag to 25 for it.

I don't have the rifle, but I recently reloaded 60 rounds of 43 Mauser for a friend at work that had inherited his grandfather's gun. He took it to a smith who declared it sound enough for light loads of 5744 with filler over the powder. He's planning on trying to take a deer with it and said 50 yard accuracy wasn't real bad with the old iron sights.

Back