Obsolete cartridges/rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I got my Ruger 77 in .358 win I had been searching for the Win 88. Those things were sort of rare and bring in something like $1500, crazy what they were getting for those.
Not sure about now but Browning was chambering the BLR in .358 win too.

Try more like $2500 to $4000 for a Winchester 88 in 358. I was fortunate fortunate enough to buy one several years ago when I was collecting Winchester level action guns. I have taken 4 bears with it in the UP of Michigan.

Ruger Hawkeye only 3300 made in 1963 chambered in 256 Winchester Mag. Neck down .357 Mag to 25 for it.
I have a lever gun chambered in .256 Win Mag that my late uncle had but I think it’s a rebarelled Marlin. That’s a cartridge that was doomed to start with, I really don’t understand what niche they were trying to fill with it?

This is a Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H, it’s kind of cool but not particularly useful for what I do. Not exactly obsolete but another one on the way out. It’s in okay shape with some wear and hunting dings. My late uncle hunted deer with it some but it’s more than I find necessary for that. Probably be a good bear or elk rifle if I ever get the chance to do either.
54A33B32-BEA3-4BA5-BBEE-291C6C1530EC.jpeg

I have a lever gun chambered in .256 Win Mag that my late uncle had but I think it’s a rebarelled Marlin. That’s a cartridge that was doomed to start with, I really don’t understand what niche they were trying to fill with it?
Marlin made a rifle called the Levermatic chambered in .265 Win Mag.

Standard American
S.A.E. (in.)
Metric Metric (mm.)
.256 Winchester Magnum at AmmoGuide.com
SPECIFICATIONS
Bullet Diameter:
.257 in.
Max Overall Length:
1.590 in.
Max Avg Pressure:
43,000 cup
Rifling Twist:
1-in-14 in.
Rifling Lands:
Case Capacity (est):
23.1 gr. water
Primer Size:
.175 in.
NOMINAL PERFORMANCE
Bullet Weight:
75 gr
Muzzle Velocity:
2,350 fps
Muzzle Energy:
920 ft-lbs
The .256 Winchester Magnum was announced in 1960, even though the revolver it was to accompany was having problems preventing it's commercial release. The .256 suffered without the availability of a commercial firearm to chamber it.

Three years later, Marlin adapted the Model 62 rifle to it, and Ruger produced the "Hawkeye" single-shot pistol in .256 Winchester Magnum. The Universal Firearms M1 Carbine round out this odd trio, the only 3 firearms to be produced in .256 Winchester Magnum. Unfortunately, production runs were small.

The cartridge is derived from the .357 Magnum case necked-down to accept 1/4-inch bullets, and it's ballistics are worth noting. No longer listed, factory 60-grain jacketed ammunition sizzled at over 2,700 fps.

I really don’t understand what they thought people would do with it? It’s not a deer cartridge, it’s kind of overkill for small game, it’s not a long range cartridge. Plinking and short range, medium sized game? I’ll have to take another look at the rifle I have, I’m pretty sure I have brass and dies.

I really don’t understand what they thought people would do with it? It’s not a deer cartridge, it’s kind of overkill for small game, it’s not a long range cartridge. Plinking and short range, medium sized game? I’ll have to take another look at the rifle I have, I’m pretty sure I have brass and dies.
From what I have been reading it was accurate out to 200 yards for varmints. Problem that hurt the Hawkeye was there were not many good affordable handgun scopes in 1963 and most ppl couldn't take advantage of it with open sights. I am still waiting for the weather to warm up to shoot mine.

Please let me know what you find out. I plan to shoot the Hawkeye a bit once the weather gets nice. My garden is close enough to use it for shooting the vermin that tries to raid it.

I have my Grandparents rifles. Both in .25 Rem Gram's was a model 8 and Grampa's was a model 14. I have killed deer with both.
Nit Wit
Do you reload for those 25 Remington's. I just got some brass ready to reload for my .30 Remington. Uncle actually has two boxes of newer Remington ammo for it. I am giving the old brass a testing first though so I know where I stand on reloadable brass.

Somehow I am drawn to odd or unusual
I have a REM model 8 marked 25-35, a couple rifles in PPC, And my favorite is a Ruger NO.1 smithed by Wayne Baker of Freedom Arms in 22-454
Now that I am thinking… Browning BPCR IN 40-65 and a Shilen handgun in 7IHMSA
Anything that comes with a set of dies!

358Win and 260Rem never saw the popularity they should have seen imo. While neither is really obsolete they are both very much under appreciated. I would love a nice ultra light rifle in either one. Remington chose to go with the 350Mag in the old 600/660s and it would beat you to death. The 358Win would have been ideal in a rifle like that. Same can be said for the 260Rem vs the 6.5Rem Mag....WTF were they thinking?
https://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win_mystery.htmhttps://www.chuckhawks.com/26cal.htm
When I was young and dumb I bought a 600 in 350 Remington mag when they first came out. I can vouch for the recoil and the muzzle blast was pretty fierce as well! The .358 Winchester would have been much nicer to shoot and done pretty much the same job.

Well Thought I would report my success at the range today shooting the Remington 141 chambered in .30 Remington. I loaded IMR 4895 under some 170 grain PSP bullets. The old book said 32 grains was most accurate load so I loaded 31 grains, 31.5 grains and 32 grains. Well I made a mistake and just seated to the cannular and they need to be a tad shorter to work through the tube magazine. However I still shot the 31 grain load. At 50 yards I was dead on up and down and 4 inches left. 2 shots cut one hole a tad oval and the third shot was within and inch of the other two. With open sights I more than happy with this group. Who says these old guns and old cartridges are washed up?

I am fond of the old stuff and the different. I picked up a Hepburn with a great bore and ugly outside for $150. When I tore it down I found two layers of hacksaw blade replaced the main spring. It is a 45-70 and I would like to shoot it sometime this spring.
Savage made a limited run of 110's in 250-3000, and I managed to drag one of those home.
My 1903 Rock Island Springfield in 257AI has been a great deer getter, and I need to try my Siamese Mauser in 25AKI out on something.
Siamese Mausers take a rimmed cartridge, so this rifle uses 30-40 brass necked and blown out. A 1948 Model 70 in 250AI rounds out the 25's. I have only plinked at ground squirrels with it.

When I was young and dumb I bought a 600 in 350 Remington mag when they first came out. I can vouch for the recoil and the muzzle blast was pretty fierce as well! The .358 Winchester would have been much nicer to shoot and done pretty much the same job.
I used to collect 600s and 660s and had both in the 6.5 and 350Mag. I took a Mohawk and chambered it for the 458 X 2 American ( now Marlin 450) back in the 70s. THAT would get your attention!

45-75 WCF.

Would love to have a 1876 and ammo/brass to shoot. Plenty power and lots of shots in the tube.

Latest posts

Back