Obsolete cartridges/rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original short action .30 caliber. When a fella said its a .300, you didnt run down a list of cartridges, you knew what he meant.
The .300 Savage.
Love my Savage 99 EG, she's a 1948 Chicopee girl.
Then came the .308... Ain't NOTHING wrong with the old .300 though. Nothing will live on the difference between the rounds.

I picked up a Model 100 Winchester in 308 for around $400. Then I found out that there was a recall on the firing pin. Winchester checked the serial number and sent me the new firing pin and $35 to pay a gunsmith to install it. I'm not sure I could have gotten it done for that, but YouTube was my friend.

I don't have the rifle, but I recently reloaded 60 rounds of 43 Mauser for a friend at work that had inherited his grandfather's gun. He took it to a smith who declared it sound enough for light loads of 5744 with filler over the powder. He's planning on trying to take a deer with it and said 50 yard accuracy wasn't real bad with the old iron sights.

I’ve got a 350 rem mag,6mm rem, 264mag and a 47-70

I picked up a Model 100 Winchester in 308 for around $400. Then I found out that there was a recall on the firing pin. Winchester checked the serial number and sent me the new firing pin and $35 to pay a gunsmith to install it. I'm not sure I could have gotten it done for that, but YouTube was my friend.
Yeah you could replace the firing pin very very easily yourself. If Winchester give you the money to pay to get it done probably saved you the time and effort to tear the rifle apart and put back together. I love my model 100 chambered in .284 If you picked one up for $400 you got a steal of a deal unless it’s in super poor condition.

I been looking around for a 6mm rem. But i would have it rebarrel to a 6mm AI. As hard as a gun and brass is to find. I have consider a 243AI. Ackley's came out well before my time.

The go gage on a standard cartridge becomes the no go gage on an Ackley. For this to work, you must set a barrel back to convert a chamber from a standard to an Ackley improved version. The set back is one thread.

It is often easier to chamber a new barrel rather than rechamber the factory to an Ackley configuration. Whether the action is push or controlled round feed, the type of thread, TPI, and timing are all issues that have to be dealt with.

I recently barreled a long action 700 Remington to 6MM Remington. It started life as a '06. My personal preference would be to add two inches to barrel length rather than go Ackley. That said, I have done a few Ackley chambers, and my favorite deer rifle is a 257 Ackley in a '03 Springfield. A VZ24 in 7X57 is a close second. Both wear Pac Nor barrels

Well said. I have had many AIs and all done setting the parent bbl back and rechambering, to wit: 25-308 AI ( three) on Rem 600s, currently 2 ea #1s, one in 25-06 and one in 243 AI. A much used every winter Ruger 77R in 220 Swift AI with a 1-8 twist bbl for heavier bullets ( I trap all winter here in Wy) The reason I like the AI...." I DON"T LIKE TRIMMING BRASS" not to gain any velocity advantage. Trader with my .02 cents LOL

Why not just spring for something in a 243 Winchester? After all, the 6mm Remington started off life as a 244 Remington, introduced in 1955. As I understand it, the 244 Remington didn't make it because they built it with the wrong twist. I had one almost 50 years ago.

Here is my Browning BLR in 358 win. Not obsolete, but getting much harder to find. Pictures are not the best, but you get the idea. The white flecks are on my cell phone, not the gun.

Attachments

• Browing BLR .358 Win.jpg
    Browing BLR .358 Win.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2
  • BLR .358 Win.jpg
    BLR .358 Win.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
Here is my Browning BLR in 358 win. Not obsolete, but getting much harder to find. Pictures are not the best, but you get the idea. The white flecks are on my cell phone, not the gun.
The .358 Winchester is nothing but a .308 Winchester (aka 7.62 NATO) necked up to .358, as I found out researching the 35 Whelen.
From Wikipedia:

Specifications
Parent case.308 Winchester
Case typeRimless, bottleneck
Bullet diameter.358 in (9.1 mm)
Land diameter.350 in (8.9 mm)
Neck diameter.388 in (9.9 mm)
Shoulder diameter.454 in (11.5 mm)
Base diameter.470 in (11.9 mm)
Rim diameter.473 in (12.0 mm)
Rim thickness.054 in (1.4 mm)
Case length2.015 in (51.2 mm)
Overall length2.780 in (70.6 mm)
Rifling twist1-12
Primer typeLarge rifle
Maximum CUP52,000 CUP

The .358 Winchester is nothing but a .308 Winchester (aka 7.62 NATO) necked up to .358, as I found out researching the 35 Whelen.
From Wikipedia:

Specifications
Parent case.308 Winchester
Case typeRimless, bottleneck
Bullet diameter.358 in (9.1 mm)
Land diameter.350 in (8.9 mm)
Neck diameter.388 in (9.9 mm)
Shoulder diameter.454 in (11.5 mm)
Base diameter.470 in (11.9 mm)
Rim diameter.473 in (12.0 mm)
Rim thickness.054 in (1.4 mm)
Case length2.015 in (51.2 mm)