Odd ball varmints?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I know that when we think of varmints, we think of the fox and coyote family. We think of the rodent family as in gophers, woodchucks and the like.
What about odd ball ones?

When I hunted in Florida I had a ton of fun shooting armadillos. It was sort of neat to handgun them with the 22's.

I know that in Maine some people hunt down porcupines. It is a legitimate varmint, although a bit smelly.

Anyone here hunt something a bit oddball?

Crows and groundhogs here in Ohio...and cats in the woods are toast...they just don't belong and they're lethal to the young of nearly every small game animal there is...feathered or furred. Fluffy belongs in the house...not out killing baby rabbits and squirrels.

I don't shoot cats just because i have a couple. They are better hunters than me, without even trying, but i dont hold it against them. My wife (and I) would be really upset if they got shot. They, and the other cats in the area, do a great job of keeping the mice, chipmunks, and feral starlings in check. I have had 2 occasions where collar wearing dogs came up on me in the woods while hunting, very aggressive, but i didnt shoot them either. Dogs can harrass larger game than cats. But they are still possibly loved members of someones family. Ive never seen a shortage of skwirls or bunnies.

I don't shoot cats just because i have a couple. They are better hunters than me, without even trying, but i dont hold it against them. My wife (and I) would be really upset if they got shot. They, and the other cats in the area, do a great job of keeping the mice, chipmunks, and feral starlings in check. I have had 2 occasions where collar wearing dogs came up on me in the woods while hunting, very aggressive, but i didnt shoot them either. Dogs can harrass larger game than cats. But they are still possibly loved members of someones family. Ive never seen a shortage of skwirls or bunnies.
I have 3 cats...and they stay where they belong...in the house. They are an invasive species in the wild as they have no natural predators put there by nature to offer checks and balances. They are very effective predators and unlike you I have seen a feral cat population decimate small game populations in a small area. Don't let emotion cloud your judgement...my 3 little fur balls at home are not what I'm talking about here. And as far as those aggressive dogs you spoke of are concerned, there is a line in the sand they get too and beyond that they are goners. I was attacked by a pack of 5 dogs on a deer hunt in Ohio in 1977...I was only 17 at the time and very frightened...I survived...2 of them didn't... the rest ran off and one of the dead ones had a collar. I have no delusions about domesticated animals...dogs are wolves at heart and cats are lions, tigers and leopards.

Australia has seen such negative results from free ranging cats, they are poisoning them in certain areas. Their government attributes cats as a cause of the extinction of several species. If all domestic cats wore a small bell on a collar, the US would lose a lot less song birds.

We have no pets because we might be gone for more than a couple days at a time on a whim, but we both love cats that are taken care of properly, meaning kept indoors, and I like just about any dog as long as it too is cared for in a similar fashion. We have a lot of feral cats roaming around here even though we live well inside city limits. We have a non-profit group that traps feral cats, has them fixed, then takes them back to where they were captured and releases them. I along with several neighbors have an issue with that and the non-profit just blows us off. We've gone to the city council and complained of this practice citing the bird killing thing and I when it comes to the cats using my garden as their person toilet. That said, cats on the hoof in our yard are usually bag contents and take a trip to the compost site in a bag of grass clippings or leaves. I've live trapped them and taken them to the animal control office where they generally are euthanized. As far as I am concerned, anyone owning a cat and allows it to roam is irresponsible.

I would never tell anyone not to shoot them. I wont shoot them is all Im saying, and i would be sad if my cat got shot. I know that a bell on their collar doesnt make them less lethal either. They arent the only invasive species here in the USA. If I could legally shoot mute swans (i have my reasons) i would consider that a gift, as they were imported here making them invasive, but not harmful enough to be hunted. There are plenty of non-native critters here. Some harmful, some not. I also dont shoot skwirls or bunnies anymore. Just cuz i dont want to. I will murder the $#!÷ out of chipmunks and starlings tho. Also pigs, they are freaking delish (bonus) and harmful.

Last edited:
I don't spend much time hunting varmints but I do enjoy going over to the Eastern shore of VA and hunting sika on Chincoteague Nat'l Wildlife RefugeSika 2018 sm.jpg

We figure any cat not sitting on the owners front porch is a hunting opportunity.

I have a simple rule, if your Cat is in my Back Yard (i have a fully fenced in yard) It either gets REALLY Lucky and makes an Exit before i can get to my Break Action Pellet Rifle, Or it leaves here in a Garbage Bag on Monday.

The way i see it, I don’t have a Cat in your Yard (No kind of Nuisance in Your Yard) and NEVER EVER will, and I’m not gonna put up with it in mine. I enjoy Gardening, and do a Fair amount of it, A freshly Tilled piece of Ground Becomes a Cat 💩 Box, I have unearthed PLENTY of it. Fact is, I REALLY Like your Cat, in YOUR Yard :lewis: I have Pretty much ridded This neighborhood of Stray/Feral Cats, and will continue to work diligently at it.

I try to kill all of the coons, skunks and grinners that I can. I like turkey hunting and all of these are just egg suckers. Same goes for crows and if I could I would kill every blue jay I run into, egg suckers there too not to mention they are constantly raising hell.

We do kill feral cats when we are out hunting and see them. You would be surprised how man cats I have seen over the years that were over 2 miles from the nearest houses. a lot of them hanging around bulldozer piles where bunnies try to raise.

I try to kill all of the coons, skunks and grinners that I can. I like turkey hunting and all of these are just egg suckers. Same goes for crows and if I could I would kill every blue jay I run into, egg suckers there too not to mention they are constantly raising hell.
Oh yeah i forgot about the bluejays. Ill kill them too.
Whats a grinner?

Latest posts

Back