Off Hand Shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bruce. I'm sure ages got much to do with it, I'm 81 and this winter I purchased the shortest barrel, lightest, percussion 50 caliber rifle that I could find, (it weighs 5 3/4 lbs), and I don't do real good with it either.
Squint

I understand going to a lighter gun as you get older, but it didn't work for me for two reasons. It was much harder to shoot offhand with a gun with a light barrel. It's much harder to hold steady than a heavier barrel. The second reason is a big one for me at 77 years old. Light guns recoil too much. At my age that bothers me more than lugging around and shouldering a heavy gun.

One option to consider is use a heavier gun and carry sticks to shoot it.

Exactly!!!

Which is why I find it hard to understand why the traditional m-l clubs almost always have their shoots set up for 100% offhand shots.

American LongRifles Forum has an ongoing informal poll regarding the age of its active members. The mean age is 65 point something odd years old.

I am 66, and I KNOW FOR SURE that I cannot hold a 9-10 pound longrifle with a 40" plus long swamped barrel steady enough to shoot wild animals ETHICALLY any longer from a offhand position. A rest of some sort is MANDATORY.

Since I have advancing osteoarthritis in both shoulders, I have chosen to aquire a CVA Optima V2 pistol, which DOC White is restocking in black laminate using his Javelina pattern forearm.

This forearm has a short, stubby pistol grip to aid in holding the pistol steady using 2 hands in a push-pull motion. A single point sling with paraclip attached to a "D" loop, push button sling swivel will be connected to the bottom of the pistol grip/trigger. The sling passes around the shooters body, thus forming a single long support system between the shooter's back muscles, and the weak hand pushing against the stubby pistol grip on the forearm.

There will also be a Spartan Precision Equipment, brass, Classic Gunsmith Adapter embedded behind the stubby pistol grip in the bottom of the forearm.

The adapter has a rare earth magnet in the bottom of its cavity. Which allows for the quick detachment of bipods, tripods, and trekking poles.

A 148 gram/5.22 ounce, Javelin bipod with standard length legs, along with the brass adapter; is already on its way to DOC White. The bipod will be used primarily on the bench for range work.

Sometime next year, when I am confident that my rusty skills are back up to ethical hunting standards; then I plan to purchase the Woodland length version of the Spartan Sentinel tripod.

This is an expensive, but EXTREMELY versatile tool. It weighs in at 1550 grams/54.63 ounces/3.414 pounds. It can be configured in many different ways, just as purchased.

With additional leg purchases, it can be configured as a sitting bipod to mimic cross sticks; or as a quad/penta leg setup for long distance rifle shoting.
I wish my club had rested matches as well. I'm not against it at all.

Squint,
It's a terrible dichotomy that the two things that make traditional offhand m-I shooting easier, long barrels with a longer sight radius, and more weight out front; are exactly what an ageing shooter does not need for the woods.

The ideal rifle for an ageing hunter like myself, IMO, with shoulder issues is a sub-6 pound, halfstock, percussion, sidelock rifle with a .45 caliber, 1:66" twist, patched ball, 24" long, 13/16" octagon-round barrel.

It would be fitted with Q-D sling swivels, and a modern rifleman's sling.

If fitted with a hooked breech plug, and tang, as well as a single barrel key; then you would have ease of cleaning.

Keep the length of pull around 13", and fit the stock with a GOOD recoil pad.

Drill and tap the barrel for a Weaver/Picatinny scope base; and install the same.

Mount a Lyman 57 receiver sight on the tang. Mount a winged, open-top, globe front sight base with a fine bead/post that is tritium backed for low-light shooting.

When the shooters ageing eyes no longer can see to shoot the iron sights, purchase the scope of your choice, along with a set of rings, and continue shooting/hunting for as long as possible.

And SCREW what other people say about scopes on a sidelock.
My views towards scopes on sidelocks & shotguns have sure changed with age & degrading or failing eyes & pretty much everything else since I was a young healthy man. I was just talkin with a friend this morn about this subject & had to say that I too now have a scope on a muzzleloader that 40+yrs ago I would have also scoffed at. Heck, now its my firm belief that if ya want to shoot whatever & need a scope due to bad eyes or any other reason, by all means do it & continue to enjoy your life & what you love to do in it. If it means training wheels on my antique Harley, laugh all ya like. It means still riding when without means NOT RIDING- PUT THEM ON.

I'm stubborn and will never use a scope on a sidelock. I always got close to the game but now i'm really close. I prefer that to a scope. I put a little white paint on the front sight. That's my only compromise.

Before i have to give up my Sidelocks due to my Poor Eye sight, I will have a 2,000 Dollar Nightforce sitting on Top of at least 1 of them ;) in fact i am looking in to having a Custom Base built for 1 of my 1:18 Twist 45s

We all have differences in opinion but it doesn’t make either Right, or Wrong, i see folks act like it’s a Sin to Put a Scope on a Sidelock, What a JOKE! If it allows me to Once again enjoy something i truly Love, You can darn well bet I’m gonna do it.

Sorta like i see Guy’s that play the “Period Correct” Ridiculousness, Good for them! I have nothing against the “Game” They play, do as you please! The same as i will. Now run along, Go wash your Clothes in the Creek, with Lye Soap, And get them Shirts Starched up nice n Stiff :lewis:
NAILED IT! Handshakes, High Fives, & bro hug Lewis

Before i have to give up my Sidelocks due to my Poor Eye sight, I will have a 2,000 Dollar Nightforce sitting on Top of at least 1 of them ;) in fact i am looking in to having a Custom Base built for 1 of my 1:18 Twist 45s

We all have differences in opinion but it doesn’t make either Right, or Wrong, i see folks act like it’s a Sin to Put a Scope on a Sidelock, What a JOKE! If it allows me to Once again enjoy something i truly Love, You can darn well bet I’m gonna do it.

Sorta like i see Guy’s that play the “Period Correct” Ridiculousness, Good for them! I have nothing against the “Game” They play, do as you please! The same as i will. Now run along, Go wash your Clothes in the Creek, with Lye Soap, And get them Shirts Starched up nice n Stiff :lewis:

I didn't try to talk you into doing it my way. No more than you could talk me into doing it your way. You should do the same instead of ragging on what someone else likes.

I like the old way. Is that some kind of crime? I fly fish with bamboo rods, silk lines, and only fish old classic dry flies. It's my way and makes me smile. Just like shooting a Hawken like they did in the fur trade era. Smiling is good.

I thought this was the Traditional forum?

For the record. I have a disability license that allows me to use a scope on a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season. I choose to not use it but it does show the condition of my vision. As I said in my above post. I'm stubborn and don't like giving up what i've been doing all my life and enjoy. I compensate by getting closer to the game. When that won't work anymore. I'm done hunting. I'm hard on myself and don't change my rules I set for myself. The kill isn't important. The way I hunt is what's important.

Ok, i'm done with this topic.

Well...You guys can't seem to stay on topic and want to turn this into something else so the thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back