OK. Hog

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texoma

Reaction score
I took a break from smokepoles for a couple years and went hard and heavy into traditional archery. Last week I decided it was time to break out the .54 New Englander. So I went and sighted it in, started browsing this sight again and went on a hunt this morning. I was hunting for a doe on our holiday bonus deer hunt but instead of a deer I ran across this hog. Was using 80 gr. Goex 2f, 400 gr. Maxi ball no lube in top groove(TYIdaholewis), she was facing me head on at 45 yards shot was just above left eye, bullet exited about 8'' down her spine.

Hog 121920.JPG

I took a break from smokepoles for a couple years and went hard and heavy into traditional archery. Last week I decided it was time to break out the .54 New Englander. So I went and sighted it in, started browsing this sight again and went on a hunt this morning. I was hunting for a doe on our holiday bonus deer hunt but instead of a deer I ran across this hog. Was using 80 gr. Goex 2f, 400 gr. Maxi ball no lube in top groove(TYIdaholewis), she was facing me head on at 45 yards shot was just above left eye, bullet exited about 8'' down her spine.

View attachment 11752

AWESOME Deal my friend!! Congrats on a Fine looking Hog! :lewis:

Nice! I'm a little jealous. NM has been pretty aggressive about controlling hogs. Sometimes I wish they weren't. We do have some down in the bottom corner of the state called the boot heel, and they are coming into the eastern part from Texas. I've only seen hogs twice in the wild. Once I was working and not armed, and the other time carrying only turkey loads. Our consolation prize is javelina. Smaller and hard to find, but lots of fun to hunt with pistol or bow, and good to eat with Herter's recipe (tastes like corned beef). Only thing you need to know is to skin it immediately after cleaning because they have a musk gland on their back and they do stink.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back