Oklahoma Turkey Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday April 16th is opening day for spring turkey. The wildlife dept. pushed the season up 10 days this year with a one bird limit statewide.
Last season was pretty dismal. I put a lot of miles on the truck driving around to different locations. I only heard one bird gobbling and it was on private land.
I'm planning to go out Saturday even though I don't have high hopes of getting a bird.

The wild turkey population has taken a nosedive here in recent years. Hunters used to be able to take 3 birds but now they cut it down to only 1. I hunted and scouted a lot of places last year. There's just not many birds around anymore.

I understand, the turkey population has really gone down in my county as well. I went out last month, never even saw any sign of any kind. Acorn crop was terrible last year, Agri crops gone to.
Spring gobbler season is just as good as deer hunting. Maybe even better now that I'm getting old. Carrying them vs dragging is much easier!

The wild turkey population has taken a nosedive here in recent years.

Yes. Our deer lease south of Walters and our property in Garvin county had large turkey populations. This spring i've seen one turkey, a large hen.

i'm seeing increases in populations of coyotes and bobcats. The fire ants kill many young ground nesting birds.

Fire ant killer | The Horse Forum

Yes. Our deer lease south of Walters and our property in Garvin county had large turkey populations. This spring i've seen one turkey, a large hen.

i'm seeing increases in populations of coyotes and bobcats. The fire ants kill many young ground nesting birds.

Fire ant killer | The Horse Forum
I hadn't considered the ants. Those things are nasty.

Preseason scouting for sign and sightings is a must to increase the odds. If you saw bird's during deer season or know where food sources are will really help too.
Good luck!
Yes absolutely, its a big help to scout an unfamiliar area before turkey hunting as one can end up covering a heck of a lot of ground in the search for them. Its a real good thing ( but much easier said than done ) is go out the eve before a turkey hunt & use Owl & Crow " shock calls " to locate them in the roost so to know where to set up the next morn. But out of the decades of turkey hunting, I've only gone out the eve before 2 times.

Back