Old Age Sucks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was young I fished and hunted every chance I got then one morning I woke up and I was 84 The worst part of old age is you have all those memories and even worse you can no longer do them. My breathing has worsened the doctor put me on oxygen 24/7 Damn asbestos I can thank the navy for that So my advise do all you can while you can Cause if you are lucky you will make it too 84 but in better shape than me Well I still have T.V, computer and arguing with the wife of 60 years and oh I forgot eating and that damn doctor all he says loose some weight. Lou

Congrats on the 84 and again on the 60 years of bliss with the same woman! I have lung issues but have managed to stay off oxygen thus far. I just turned 70 on Saturday and today I took my step son fishing in the cold....33 degrees when we got there. Between the temp, the wind and ice in the guides he did pretty good. Myself....I could fish in this stuff forever. He'd never been fishing this chilly before but he caught fish. My advice is to do what you love doing until they have to drag you there to do it..

I too am 70 years old with lung issues, and a little overweight. Climbing hills etc really sucks but it’s better than the alternative. This May my wife and I will be married 50 years. Where did the time go??

Friends ,,, I feel for ya. I’m 65 and have great friends of which I’ve hunted and fished with for years upon years. Some older , some younger. It would be heart wrenching for me the day they could no longer be a part of enjoying nature and comaraderie.
I’ve had one particular vg friend that passed away suddenly three years ago. But you know he’s still with me in thought and memories.
So a couple of phrases I favor:
“ A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature”
“For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind”
And I started by saying “Friends”. As fellow outdoor sportsmen we are that. Friends.

Didn't understand all the old guys , nor my grandmother, when I was younger, growing up I always heard "Old age ain't for sissy's" now that I'm 70 I understand:(

I started falling apart at 50. I’m 57 now. I think I may have one or two years left of hunting in me at best. In 45 years of deer hunting this was the first time I had to have a friend come out to clean & load my buck. That’s a true friend!!
At least he went down in the middle of the picked cornfield so no dragging was required.

Greg

I'm on the same path as GregK. I'm 58 now and am paying for the last 37 years as a Service Engineer. I spend\spent most of my days getting up and down on my Knees crawling around inside Large machines repairing them or crawling around under raised floors chasing cables. My Knees, Hips, back and shoulders trade days that make me feel a Lot older. Somedays I wish they could unscrew my head and put it on a new body. ☹ But as Scott said the alternative would be worse. We have a nor'easter rolling though here today and yesterday, while it was on the way, I hurt to the point of wanting to cry at times.😢

Turned 80 couple months ago. The guys I used to hunt with are either gone or cannot get out any more. I still used a ladder stand this last season and got a doe. Hand drug her about 20 yds to the open, then pulled her with the pickup till I got to a shallow drainage ditch in the CRP field, about 30 yds. With the back wheels in the ditch it was only about 16" up to the tail gate so got her pulled up myself. I gained several pounds too this summer. Actually started a couple years ago with shoulder repair, then replaced a knee, then last spring had gall bladder removed. Inactivity adds weight. Still plan to hunt deer with my muzzle loader in a few weeks. Have a 7' tower up with a 4' sq. hard blind on top. Rubber floor with heater and swivel stool. Only one more year on this hunting lease so will cut way back on options for sure.

Got cancer at 55 and was told I had 6 months. Sarcoma in my leg. Heart issues and a stent at 57. Type 2 diabetes tryin to work its way in now. 64 + and thank God every day I wake up.

God bless you all and I hope i'm still able to hunt when I get over 70. Its a pleasure reading all the experience you fella's have to talk about.

Our late ML season starets on the 21 ti Jan 10th. Along with the late archery season and right after the last shotgun season. After the orange army gets the deer all stirred up and run all ove h@$$ and half of Georga it will take them a few days to settle back down. I got one with a crossbow earlier, never knew what hit her and dropped in her tracks. That was some real nice looking meat, better than any shot gun killed deer that has been run for an hour.

In this life the golden rule is USE IT OR LOSE IT!. I'm 72. My spine is bolted together, one shoulder has been replaced, and both knees have been replaced, but I still get out there and go up in a climber. I may be slowing down a bit but I won't stop if at all possible.

My Grandpa once told me a bit on Old Age “I can’t recommend it to anyone“ With a smile on his face :) He lived to 97

I am MUCH closer to 50 than 45, Stiff & Sore from Arthritis in several Joints (Possibly from Severe Gout i dealt with for Years, that went untreated) The MANY Bones I’ve broken over the years take me for a Trip down memory lane each & every morning, especially when it’s Cold.

No complaints from me, it’s Life & I’m living it :lewis:

I'm on the same path as GregK. I'm 58 now and am paying for the last 37 years as a Service Engineer. I spend\spent most of my days getting up and down on my Knees crawling around inside Large machines repairing them or crawling around under raised floors chasing cables. My Knees, Hips, back and shoulders trade days that make me feel a Lot older. Somedays I wish they could unscrew my head and put it on a new body. ☹ But as Scott said the alternative would be worse. We have a nor'easter rolling though here today and yesterday, while it was on the way, I hurt to the point of wanting to cry at times.😢
Keep busy in you mind,healthy body. I had 17 fractures,480stitches, one lung and lost the left arm.
I was 24. Im 64 now. Pain is in the mind. You are stronger than your pain transmissions to you brain. yes, I wear the Opiod Pain patch and take some others to help too. Its better than the eternal rest. Keep busy in doing what you love to do. I cast bullets,make 10 gage shells 3 1/4 and 2 5/8 16ga,12 ga,load for my knights 50 & 52.

When I want to go for a ride I go in my Corvette with wings. Its better than staying home and being miserable.

see you,
pb

Attachments

• pats pitts IMG_5846.jpg
    pats pitts IMG_5846.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10
Keep busy in you mind,healthy body. I had 17 fractures,480stitches, one lung and lost the left arm.
I was 24. Im 64 now. Pain is in the mind. You are stronger than your pain transmissions to you brain. yes, I wear the Opiod Pain patch and take some others to help too. Its better than the eternal rest. Keep busy in doing what you love to do. I cast bullets,make 10 gage shells 3 1/4 and 2 5/8 16ga,12 ga,load for my knights 50 & 52.

When I want to go for a ride I go in my Corvette with wings. Its better than staying home and being miserable.

see you,
pb

Now Thats a Cool Ride! :lewis:

I will only be 65 this year but i guess i am paying for my stupid younger years and the toxic environment we all live in hasn't helped any. I am hoping to be around a little longer but some days make me wonder how much time i actually have. Other days i feel pretty good so it is kinda an up and down affair at times. But i guess i might as well buy another muzzleloader and not worry to much :)

Latest posts

Back