Old Hunter - New to Muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffKiller

Reaction score
Hello to all.

I am a long time hunter, who at age 61, just bought his first muzzle loader.

I am going hunting for bear in about 3 weeks, and I look forward to hearing from all the old muzzleloading pros.

Best Regards in Hunting,

BuffKiller

Welcome aboard. Hope we can help you out in your new journey.

Welcome to the forum. Bear hunting with a muzzleloader is exciting. I have done it twice but never found a shooter bear. But a sow and cubs very close to you in a ground blind will sure make your heart race. Good luck.

Welcome to the Forum! Bear hunting is an adrenalin rush when you realize that you are hunting something that can eat you, :wink: but add a single shot muzzleloader and it is a real rush! 8) I am really looking forward to going again myself. The Bear in my avatar was taken with one of my muzzleloaders. Hope you have fun, I know I did!

:yeah:
Glad you joined the group. I know you'll enjoy being here and reading the posts and adding your reply. There's a bunch of good guys here with unlimited knowledge to share and will always try to answer your questions.

Ray............... :wink:

What unit will you be bear hunting in? I'll be bear hunting in Colorado this year too.

Thanks CoHiCountry,

Right back at ya!

If you don't mind my asking what load are you using?

I understand Triple 7 is a little easier on the bore and you can go 10-15 shots without cleaning.

Also, do you prelube the barrel lands, or just ram the bullet in on top of the powder?

Thank much.

BuffKiller

BuffKiller said:
Thanks CoHiCountry,

Right back at ya!

If you don't mind my asking what load are you using?

I understand Triple 7 is a little easier on the bore and you can go 10-15 shots without cleaning.

Also, do you prelube the barrel lands, or just ram the bullet in on top of the powder?

Thank much.

BuffKiller

BuffKiller... I'll be using a 250 grain Thor with 100 grains of BH209. I've used T7 in the past too. What I don't like about T7 is the crud ring and the potential for the breech plug to get stuck. I have to loosen the plug every few shots or it gets so stuck in the barrel I can hardly get it out! I'm sure this is different from gun to gun and load to load but that's what I found. You need to swab between shots or at least every two or three shots with T7. Not needed with BH209. I've never prelude any barrel lands, just push the bullet right on top of the powder. Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back