Old-School Hunter - new to Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoJo

Reaction score
After decades of centerfire hunting I’m now an old dog learning new tricks. I’m excited about the switch to muzzleloader hunting and the early seasons ahead of the mass of November hunters.

So glad I found this site. After weeks of merry-go-round advice from folks that seemed to be promoting products for profit and youtube fame, these forums are a welcome and educating change.

I now live in NC, but I travel home to MD/PA every year to hunt the same woods that I’ve hunted the past 50 years. Really excited about the ML seasons. Looking forward to more good reading and advice.

Welcome. There's a lot of information shared by many different principles here. Yes, shooters have their favorites and you'll have to sort that out on any site.
Good solid information shared here. Enjoy.

Hey old timer, another NC member here, just recently joined. Where are you in NC? and welcome.

If you are going to hunt PA with a ML you can hunt with a percussion type during the early ML season and in Bucks county during the lates season. However from what I understand you are limited to does. Naturally a Flintlock you can use anytime.

Thanks. Welcome to you, as well. Im from Fayetteville. Planning to take advantage of the early ML seasons and scouting some game lands now for disabled hunter permits. What part of the state are you in?
If you are going to hunt PA with a ML you can hunt with a percussion type during the early ML season and in Bucks county during the lates season. However from what I understand you are limited to does. Naturally a Flintlock you can use anytime.

Thanks. Welcome to you, as well. Im from Fayetteville. Planning to take advantage of the early ML seasons and scouting some game lands now for disabled hunter permits. What part of the state are you in?
Edmehlig - if I go home to PA this season it will be in the South Central region (Bedford). I paid for my new online with the money I usually spend on two nonresident licenses, die permits, and other expenses. Might just stay in NC and enjoy their staggered zone seasons. That, and disabled game land permits gives me over 30 days of early season hunting. Looking forward to the new hobby.

Edmehlig - if I go home to PA this season it will be in the South Central region (Bedford). I paid for my new online with the money I usually spend on two nonresident licenses, die permits, and other expenses. Might just stay in NC and enjoy their staggered zone seasons. That, and disabled game land permits gives me over 30 days of early season hunting. Looking forward to the new hobby.

Sounds like a good plan to me!! Good Luck and make some smoke! Let us know how you make out this year.

Hey old timer, another NC member here, just recently joined. Where are you in NC? and welcome.
Hello. I might have missed replying to your comment, but just in case:

I'm in Fayetteville. Although I usually go home to PA to hunt, I've decided this year to stay in NC and take advantage of the ML opportunities, which is a first for me. I'm focused on 4-5 state game lands to hunt on, mainly because of the liberal disabled hunter permits I can get. I've also spent a good amount of time on Bragg but that is a different challenge altogether. Maybe ML will improve my success there. Where are you in NC?

30mi West of Charlotte NC. Lake Jordan GL is close to you and has a lot of deer. You just have to be in the right place/right time.

30mi West of Charlotte NC. Lake Jordan GL is close to you and has a lot of deer. You just have to be in the right place/right time.
I scouted Lake Jordan last year and decided it was one of my several choices. I tagged out with two dear in an early PA hunt and never got to Jordan. One reason I chose to begin ML is to have a couple of weeks ahead of the regular seasons. It cost so much for non-resident license and tags in PA that I decided to hunt NC exclusively this year. Going to take a couple of trips to Jordan soon. Where do you do most of your hunting?

In my back yard...unless they're moving thru the front yard! I have my own personal herd it seems. Nothing to brag on size wise but they fit nicely in the freezer! I eat meat, not horns.
I don’t blame you. I’ve had my glory days of looking for racks. I always identify myself these days as a meat eater. The Dr. told me to cut back on the red meat so my quest is to fill my son’s freezer. He and his three young daughters love the venison, especially when it looks like burgers and sausage, bologna, hot dogs, etc.

Belated welcome to you both , I also travel back to NY for archery, BP and rifle seasons, long drive but have been hunting on my clubs property well over 40 yrs . Also hunt game lands here in and around Brunswick Cty.

Belated welcome to you both , I also travel back to NY for archery, BP and rifle seasons, long drive but have been hunting on my clubs property well over 40 yrs . Also hunt game lands here in and around Brunswick Cty.
Thanks for the welcome. The primary reason I'm skipping going home to PA/MD this year is that the expenses for that trip paid for my Accura and accessories. I'll be there next year.

Hey RoJo, welcome.
I live in Maryland close to the Mason Dixon line. I am in Fayetteville several times a week as well as Chambersburg, Waynesboro, etc....for work.
Just incase you didn't know,.....there is a great muzzleloader shop along Interstate 81 right off Exit 20 across from Gander Outdoors. It is called Ft. Chambers. I have been a customer there for close to 30 years now.

Appreciate the info. Where in MD do you live? I was born and raised in Cumberland, hunted the MD/Pa border on the gas line since I was 10. North of Green Ridge State Forest.

I’ll be visiting my son near Winchester in several weeks. That BP shop is about an hour away. Might take the time to visit if schedule permits.

I live between Hagerstown and Frederick on South Mountain. I have a Myersville address. I am in Cumberland, La Vale and Frostburg some with work as well. Winchester ,Va is also part of my work area . I was in Flintstone just this morning.

Back