Old scope for an older inline, what would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
Banner 3-9.jpgBanner x4.jpg
Recently I picked up an original DISC and a really nice blued MK 85 in a laminate stock. Now I'm looking for a scope that matches the age of the two rifles and I came across these old Bushnell Banners yesterday, a 3-9 x 40 with Japanese optics and a 4 x 40 for $55.00 & $40.00 (Canadian) respectively.

It seems to me that many people have a tendency to over scope their guns and I don't feel that a magnification of 4-12 or similar with a 50mm objective lens is necessary for shooting out to a maximum of 150 yards. I have a tight budget and the thought is that I would mount the 4 x 40 on my MK 85 with a set of Weaver see though mounts so I can still use the open sights. The 3-9 would go on my original DISC again with see through mounts.

What do you guys think, Am I wasting my time?

Put the 4-40 scope on your rifle. The average muzzleloader hunter don't need a variable power scope.

Forget the see through mounts. they are a useless fad of yesteryear.
I agree the 4x is plenty as well as NOT using see thru mounts. I hear a lot of guys say "I have them in case my scope goes bad while hunting." Well here is my counter argument. 1. with a muzzleloader you're only going to get one shot so you won't know if your scope is bad until you take it to the range. 2. Use Weaver style bases and rings and if your scope gets fogged up simply use your knife blade and remove the scope and use your open sights. (just be sure your sights are sighted in prior to)

A while back, I bought a new CVA Wolf from a member here.
Being a short barrel gun, I figured 100 yards more or less would be the farthest I be shooting it. As for a scope, I just wanted simple fixed power.
I found a used, like new condition Bushnell 4X32mm.
I think it's a perfect mate for the Wolf.
As for see through mounts, I always thought they were a kind of gimmick deal.
IDK, either use open sights or a scope, trying to use both is too busy for my brain.

So, I bought the 4x and it's on its way to me right now. I have one other question though. The Scope is going on my MK85 which has a set of Warne steel bases. I have a set of Warne QD rings which are great but I don't like that they split vertically. For me older style rings that split horizontally like Leopold's are aesthetically nicer.

Does anyone know if I can use different Rings on my Warne bases? Will there be any issues?

So, I bought the 4x and it's on its way to me right now. I have one other question though. The Scope is going on my MK85 which has a set of Warne steel bases. I have a set of Warne QD rings which are great but I don't like that they split vertically. For me older style rings that split horizontally like Leopold's are aesthetically nicer.

Does anyone know if I can use different Rings on my Warne bases? Will there be any issues?
Why not just put new Picatinny rail on it & get whatever rings you like, or see if DNZ makes a 1 piece GameReaper for it. I love those. mounts.

So, the scope arrived yesterday and there are a few small marks where someone tightened down a little to hard on the rings. Apart from that It's like new and compliments my early MK 85 well. I know there's a whole argument about modern optics vs old optics but I'm not shooting long range or in near dark conditions. The scope looks like it came with the rifle out of the shop which was the intention. Very pleased

Thanks for the input !!

Last edited:
I don't need much for the yardage I shoot while hunting most of the time, so I like the Bushnells in 3X9X40. For the sake of clarity at the range I sight and leave the scopes at 6 power which is as much or more than I need to hunt. Still, I just park those guns at 6. The Optima pistol has a 2X7X32, left at 4 power and is a sweet shooter. My Patriot has a Vortex 3X9 X40 on it and like the Bushnells it too is at six where it will stay. I like scopes that keep the reticles uncluttered but that's getting to be a hard find on a new scope as I found out. I have a 2X Banner on the air rifle that was on a shotgun for twenty year before that and it is the nicest air rifle scope I have found. There is a lot to say about the old fixed powers and its generally all good.

I just mounted a 4X Weaver on my Wolverine. I was toying with the idea of throwing on a 1-4 variable but the Weaver is so much lighter.

I put a Leupold VX Freedom ultimate slam on my accura V2 Lr. It's a very clear scope and I leave it on 4x while hunting. I have an older Optima pro with a Bushnell Trophy 1.75 to 4x32 with the circle x reticle and I absolutely love that scope! I've had the Bushnell Trophy for well over 10 years and it's been a great one!

Back