Older CVA .50 cal rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodspinner1

Reaction score
I have a older CVA in-line rifle I bought new in 1997. I would like to start shooting it again. Question is, is it safe to use the powder pellets in the rifle?
Thanks

Is it drop down action, a break action, a plunger action or a bolt gun? Primer or cap ignition? What model is it? Pellets can generate some pretty good pressures that may be skirting on too high in some actions like a plunger gun. T7 pellets are what I am thinking about, pyrodex pellets I don't think you need worry. Knowing which model of CVA it is goes a long way to giving any real solid ideas.

You will be good with pellets. Have at it.

Good luck getting pellets to fire with a #11 cap. Might go off, might not! I wouldn't recommend for hunting reliably.

That was my one concern with pellets. I don't think Pyro pellets will give much bother but T7 needs heat. Maybe a magnum cap.

If you have any doubt, load it up, strap it down to a spare tire and tie a string through the trigger and stand back & pull the string gently. Did this many times with old military rifles I would get to sporterize. Always test fired them with a good load first.

I have a older CVA in-line rifle I bought new in 1997. I would like to start shooting it again. Question is, is it safe to use the powder pellets in the rifle?
Thanks
Yes, it is perfectly safe to use pellets in that gun.

50gn Pellets is the same as 50gn of loose powder. .they were designed that way.
They were designed so folks did not have to carry all the extra gear to make sure
their charge is the same.

The only thing I would say, is not to go over 100 grains. Most all Black powder rifles can handle 100 grains.
Some will handle 120. But since it is a 50cal use 2F powder.

I know that some folks use 3F for 50 cal but since your gun is an older gun don't play games. . Not only
that, the difference between 2F and 3F is really not worth looking at.

Back