Omega 45 -- Sans Sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There have been issues.

First it was discovered the bore is tapered i.e. it is larger at the muzzle than at the breech. Bullets sized for the muzzle get stuck; bullets sized for the breech free fall down the barrel most of the way.

There was a lot of blow through when using shotgun primers. This necessitated using magnum rifle primers in PR adapters.

Seemed like it would be for the best, if the QLA was cut off, so it was removed.

Today, two trips out to shoot the rifle were made. First trip this morning the load was 250g Deep Curl, fiber wad, 105g Blackhorn, Federal 215 primer. Very windy. Five shots made at the top target.

IMG_4328.JPG

Second trip this afternoon the powder charge was changed to 100g Blackhorn. For reasons unknown to me the bullets were sized about 0.0005" smaller this afternoon, thus felt too loose at the powder. Six shots at the bottom target. Very windy/gusty. Note the flier to the left showing yaw; indicating the bullet didn't obturate.

Forgot to mention that the wad was forgotten a couple times. The bullet without wad went way left, and made holes through the target frame leg; knocked the target down......

Last edited:
Get some 300 grain bullets, and use full power 120 grain Volume loads. Use 2 wads, if needed.

Pack the pi$$ out of the powder and first wad, then seat the second wad and bullet firmly on the first.

You are fighting a battle though if your bore is opening up as the bullet travels out.

Probably a much better candidate for a sabot shooter.

Last edited:
I checked with Grafs and the Speer 260gr is still out of stock. When i get some, you can try them and some poly wads Lewis sent me. Poly wads are very very tight in the bore.

The 300 grain bullets provide more weight, more bearing surface, more upset, more energy, more momentum, more precision accuracy. Much better choice for shooting sabotless with Blackhorn 209, IME.

That barrels bore sure isn't helping matters any. The 250 grainers are on the hairy edge, even with full house loads.

Best price.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101054983

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/17309

https://www.natchezss.com/speer-dee...bullets-454-casull-452-300-gr-dchp-50-ct.html

I checked with Grafs and the Speer 260gr is still out of stock. When i get some, you can try them and some poly wads Lewis sent me. Poly wads are very very tight in the bore.

Sportsmans warehouse had some in stock when I last checked. Not sure if there are any of those near you.

There have been issues.

First it was discovered the bore is tapered i.e. it is larger at the muzzle than at the breech. Bullets sized for the muzzle get stuck; bullets sized for the breech free fall down the barrel most of the way.

There was a lot of blow through when using shotgun primers. This necessitated using magnum rifle primers in PR adapters.

Seemed like it would be for the best, if the QLA was cut off, so it was removed.

Today, two trips out to shoot the rifle were made. First trip this morning the load was 250g Deep Curl, fiber wad, 105g Blackhorn, Federal 215 primer. Very windy. Five shots made at the top target.

IMG_4328.JPG

Second trip this afternoon the powder charge was changed to 100g Blackhorn. For reasons unknown to me the bullets were sized about 0.0005" smaller this afternoon, thus felt too loose at the powder. Six shots at the bottom target. Very windy/gusty. Note the flier to the left showing yaw; indicating the bullet didn't obturate.

Forgot to mention that the wad was forgotten a couple times. The bullet without wad went way left, and made holes through the target frame leg; knocked the target down......

I'm starting down the sabotless road albeit slowly, mostly in the research phase right now.

Did you end up getting an adjustable sizing die, to size the bullets? That's my hang up at the moment.

Loaded the 45 caliber Omega this morning prior to heading out. Bullets were sized about 0.0005" larger than they were yesterday afternoon. Was curious about how much of the barrel the bullet rode the lands. Measured. Turns out the bullet contacts the lands about 6" above the powder; the bullet rides about 6" of lands, after free falling from the muzzle.

The weather was perfect for shooting this morning. About 26°, and zero breeze. The load was 250g Deep Curl, fiber wad, 100g Blackhorn, Federal 215 primer.

IMG_4334.JPG

The bullet holes are nice, and round, perfectly round?? Yes it seems. Wondered how bullet holes would look out further. Decided to try shooting out 200 yard.

The morning began slipping away, it got warmer, the breeze came. Dropped from 4900' to 4700' so for to attain 200 yard range. The mud thawed, and the wind grew. Thermometer say 47° with ever changing wind. Proceeded to shoot even so.

IMG_4335.JPG

Perfect round bullet holes in the paper? Good obturation it seems? Only 6" of initial land contact; strange.

No i did not. Ive seen a few guys did and some felt they were pretty fragile when pushed. They were certainly fragile at speeds my NULA can shoot them.

Sabotless they were slightly easier to shoot than a 250gr FTX. Jacket is a little thinner and maybe the lead is softer. Sportsmans is $12.99/50 for the Speer 260gr and about $7 in shipping unless i can put together a $50 order.

This morning the goal was to shoot the rifle at 200 yard, if the breeze wasn't too bad. Left early enough to nearly completely beat the breeze for awhile.

Made two changes this trip. Started shooting from a cold clean barrel, and switched from rifle primer to shotgun primer.

The load was 250g Deep Curl, fiber wad, 100g Blackhorn, W209 primer.

Dialed up 8 moa, and shot three at the top target; not much breeze. Then dialed down 2 moa to 6 up, and shot three at the bottom target. By this time there was more breeze, but not bad.

IMG_4338.JPG

Found it interesting that the same sized bullets worked in the clean barrel, and in the fouled barrel.

This morning the goal was to shoot the rifle at 200 yard, if the breeze wasn't too bad. Left early enough to nearly completely beat the breeze for awhile.

Made two changes this trip. Started shooting from a cold clean barrel, and switched from rifle primer to shotgun primer.

The load was 250g Deep Curl, fiber wad, 100g Blackhorn, W209 primer.

Dialed up 8 moa, and shot three at the top target; not much breeze. Then dialed down 2 moa to 6 up, and shot three at the bottom target. By this time there was more breeze, but not bad.

IMG_4338.JPG

Found it interesting that the same sized bullets worked in the clean barrel, and in the fouled barrel.
You ever thought of lapping that barrel to a more uniform size along its entire length ?? It will never shoot really good unless you do . Just sayin .....
A little TLC will go a LONG way !!!

You ever thought of lapping that barrel to a more uniform size along its entire length ??...........
No. Have only been playing with the rifle sans sabot for a week. Have never lapped a barrel neither. If one were to lap the barrel, what materials, and technique would one use to remove more from the lands near the breech, and less from the lands at the muzzle?

Are you sure the rifle will shoot better if the barrel is lapped? Wednesday, it shot less than moa at 200 yard.

Back