Omega blowback

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfly

Reaction score
I've discovered my Omega shoots better groups with Fed 209A primers than W209's. Carbon buildup in the flash channel from the Fed's is also much, much easier to clean out than the Winnies. Problem is I'm getting a lot of blowback now, making a mess of the entire breach plug, and bolt face. Pretty much, carbon is everywhere in the action. I've read that O-rings or shims installed in the primer pocket can eliminate blowback in certain CVA ML's. I've never seen this fix discussed concerning TC Omegas. Do you think O-rings would solve the problem or should I take it apart and tighten the action a bit more. As it is now, the action seems relatively tight and closes positively. Previously I've used the longer W209's and blowback was not as bad but would still get some. I'm trying to achieve zero blowback.

Well, there are three ways known to me to achieve zero blow by using an Omega rifle. Two ways should stop blow by using the Federal 209a primer.

1. Do as described in THIS THREAD

2. Install a 0.0248" x 0.005" shim in the Omega breech plug, as described in THREAD

The first method will work for sure. The second method should work......

3. This third method will only work using the Winchester W209 primers. Measure the length of the W209 primers,
use only primers that are 0.302" long or longer. These longer primers should make zero blow by in all Omega rifles.

The easiest way to make zero blow by in Omega rifles, method three, is my favorite; it works great for me.

Thanks for the reply Ron. I didn't realize the shims sized for CVA BP's would work in an Omega. This might be worth a try. Shims are cheap. Also, if I went the O-ring route, the BP would have to be modified. Unfortunately, I don't have the machinery for that. Do you think tightening the action a bit would solve the problem?

No, i don't. Tightening an already tight action will make it hard to close, and open. Perhaps, maybe if you tighten it a bit it will reduce the blow by, but it won't cure it , at least i don't believe it will. Measuring the 209A primers, and only using the longest, may also help. You could try tightening the action; use the longer 209a primers. Longest primers are around 0.298", if memory serves. Possibly, maybe this will make you happy. Please don't get mad at me if the result is less than satisfactory.

No worries Ron. I really like the idea of the O ring. If I sent you my BP, would you be willing to modify it for me. I'd be happy to pay you for your time.

[emoji15]!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back