Omega Z-5?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reb

Reaction score
Seen them at walmart for around 280 dollars I know they have a cheaper rear sight than the regular model and a stainless breech/trigger mechanism someone on the HA forum said the action is screwed to the barrel instead of welded? Is this true, any one know ?

I have looked all over and cant find any info I was thinking about getting one but if the action isn't welded forget about it! :roll:

Hi there. There is a new Z5 Omega listed here in Canada as an S.I.R. exclusive. This one has a thumbhole stock, bead blasted stainless trigger, trigger guard and breach plug. Also the barrel is blued. Here in Canada the price is $414.99 (cdn. funds). As for the sights I just bought a current production stainless/synthetic and also found that they are cheaper. After contacting Thompson about this they told me that they now changed to Williams sights. Hope this helps.

Dont know Randy just questioning what was said on HA .

I'm not really familliar with the workings of them but it appears by the link you posted that the only parts that are welded on the regular ones are the recoil lugs.

So other than the the sights there basicly the same right? Are the trigger groups plastic on the more expensive models too?

Reb said:

I'm not really familliar with the workings of them but it appears by the link you posted that the only parts that are welded on the regular ones are the recoil lugs.

So other than the the sights there basicly the same right? Are the trigger groups plastic on the more expensive models too?

Well mine isn't plastic. You can see it at the link Randy posted. It's the most expensive Omega T/C makes. I'm not sure about the lower ones.

Reb said:

That should keep you busy for a while-- particularly in the political forum. :?

If you are worried about it, I'd just call Thompson. It is obviously a chain store directed product to appeal to the shopping cart crowd; the same cheapening down was done to the Black Diamond. So, the take cost out of the gun as best they can- cheap sights, perhaps a cheaper (if possible) pad, and take out a few incidentals from the accessory pack, etc.

It would make no sense to change the basic barreled action, except to perhaps shorten the barrel. They can also make it lesser warranty-- say five years. When I heard "Z-5" thought 25" barrel, but I haven't seen one.

A call to Thompson will clear things up for you.

Reb said:
Seen them at walmart for around 280 dollars I know they have a cheaper rear sight than the regular model and a stainless breech/trigger mechanism someone on the HA forum said the action is screwed to the barrel instead of welded? Is this true, any one know ?

I have looked all over and cant find any info I was thinking about getting one but if the action isn't welded forget about it! :roll:

Thompson called this morning, and I asked about the Z-5.

The Omega Z-5 is THE SAME as the blued / composite standard Omega, including the same sights (same part #, same Williams sights). The gun is IDENTICAL.

Thompson made the decision to go after some of the low-end market import market. The cheapest Omega to produce, and the logical choice to do this with was the blued / synthetic-- and that is exactly what they did. They just discontinued the blued / composite Omega SKU # . . . and renamed it the Z-5 with a different Sku #. They went through the parts list for me, and nothing has changed-- only the price. Same lifetime warranty, same everything.

That's the story on that.

I too called T/C a few weeks back when they first came out.

The Z-5's are a little different. You are correct they are completely the same gun with the same warranty, but the old Omegas had a click adjustable sight, these have the Williams sights as mentioned. And the
Z-5, has stainless pivoting block action, the old one was just blued and plastic.

My buddy bought one when they first hit the market and I got a look at it. IMO, the action is improved and the sight has cheapened. I use open sights in NE, as magnified scopes are illegal to hunt with. The click adjustable sight is much easier to adjust than the Williams "bump and guess". Of course if your shooting a scope, who cares. Wish I could.

The lady I talked with at T/C told me they were going to continue making the old Omegas along with the Z-5. I assume that means the old ones will still have a click adjustable sight, but I don't know.

Same part numbers, 2005 std. blued vs. 2005 Z-5, T/C read them right off. Whether shiney plates holding in the trigger group is "better" than carbon steel, I can't say-- am not aware of any improvement needed or asked for.

Randy,

Ah, so the Z-5 and the regular Omega will now both be made with Williams sights. I was referring to the old Omegas that had click adjustable sights. If thats the case, you would be crazy not to by the cheaper Z-5.

I was told by T/C that the stainless action is easier to clean. Thats why I said "better", in reality it may not be and you get zero blowback from the Omega so, making it easier to clean isn't that big of a deal.

I guess there is no way to know until you compare the two side by side. As far as I know, all of the T/C sights are made by Williams-- whether an across the line change was made I don't know.

Of course, if scoped-- not much of an issue. :roll:

Thanks for the info . I put one on layaway they only had two left :eek:

The Omega is a fine rifle. I do like them and it will serve you well!

I am glad to see T/C attempt to compete with the BPI guns out there.. The Omega outclasses those guns by a mile or more!

Randy,

Please excuse me. All T/C sights are probably made by Williams. I don't know for sure, so I assume you are correct.

I think I have confused you, and its my fault. They have changed the type of Williams sight on the Omega. The old ones, that you could buy last year, had a click adjustable sight that you could adjust by simply loosing or tightening a screw. The new ones have a set screw you must loosen and manually move the windage and move the elevation up a ramp. Thats what I meant by "bump and guess".

I personally like the click adjustable better. Its simpler (IMO) and its idiot proof, and for an moron like myself, I need all the help I can get. :D

Again, who cares if you can use a scope but I live in a crazy state where its open sights or 1X scopes only and 1X scopes suck, trust me, I have tried a few.

Back