One mile smokeless muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great information in this video. My next quest will be at 1000 yards with the.40. Jeff thanks for taking the time and effort to make the video and share...

I really want a 40cal too but something more basic. Just for lead and upto a 300gr jacketed bullet. Probably just BH209 capable would even be fine.

I really want a 40cal too but something more basic. Just for lead and upto a 300gr jacketed bullet. Probably just BH209 capable would even be fine.
The .40 is very addictive. I have not shot my .45 sml since I got my .40

One of these Days :) I would LOVE to own a Rifle Like “Woody” I am Fascinated with the SML’s, What they can do

Bestill - very impressive!

I’ve owned a Sav 10ML2/40 cal for over 15 years. Never really got great , consistent accuracy using 200SSTs and 195Bs which had to be knurled up, used with wads and a stiff duplex. Still it was good.

Now with a smooth sizing die, 225/228g Pittman AccuMaxes and a 77g total wt duplex load, 2950’/sec with sub 1/2 MOA. This is from a RB BP /209. This load is about the limit with which I’m comfortable.
Currently testing a # of loads and other bullet weights.

With my 77g duplex load and knurled 200SST/wad, I only got 2800ish’/sec . With the properly sized and no wad, the 25g heavier 225 AM got 2950’/sec and sub 10 ES. So, the point is, that a smooth sized bullet appears infinitely more efficient than a knurled up bullet. My 40 didn’t begin to reach its hidden potential until I properly downsized 402 bullets to my barrel’s 0.4003” size.

Likely, I’ll use a reduced load of 250/275 Fury @ 2700-2800’/sec. I’ll leave the hotter, flatter loads to my Rem/Rock Creek, HIS 40, likely 278g AccuMax or 253 Hammer @ 2900-3000.

If a 40 is legal, I see only advantages to using a 40 over all others. This is for hunting out to 300-400 yards. Beyond that, I have no experience, nor interest. However, I see no reason that 5 or even less years from now that all 600-1000 and 1720 yard shooting/competition will not be all 40 calibers with a lot of (used) 45 cal barrels available at very low cost.

Last edited:
SW just a FYI

I know you are one of the "old school" members from MML and did tons of the early SML testing with RBinAR. You can post any load data you wish as long as its in the SML section in smokeless rated barrels. No data posted here is censored even if i dont agree with it. Way back then we had a sub forum for that type of SML data. Now its all combined here. I locked the old sub forum so RBinARs posts would stay up top for easier searching.

I just got off the phone with Levi Reed from LR Customs, from whom I will be purchasing a MZ-REX 2 muzzle brake for my CVA Optima V2 pistol.

In the course of our conversation about muzzle brakes, we drifted into shooting at long range with smokeless muzzleloaders.

I learned a considerable amount in that conversation. Including the fact that later this year he will be trying for both 1.75 miles, and 2 miles with his custom, .40 caliber SML. Having already reached 1 mile, and 1.5 miles.

Good luck to Mr. Fisk, and any others here who participate in long distance SML shooting.

It is, I believe, the future of long distance shooting. Eliminating the cartridge case takes a lot of variables out of the equation. Making what is an incredibly complex situation, just a little bit easier to figure out.

I just got off the phone with Levi Reed from LR Customs, from whom I will be purchasing a MZ-REX 2 muzzle brake for my CVA Optima V2 pistol.
In the course of our conversation about muzzle brakes, we drifted into shooting at long range with smokeless muzzleloaders.
I learned a considerable amount in that conversation. Including the fact that later this year he will be trying for both 1.75 miles, and 2 miles with his custom, .40 caliber SML. Having already reached 1 mile, and 1.5 miles.
Good luck to Mr. Fisk, and any others here who participate in long distance SML shooting.
It is, I believe, the future of long distance shooting. Eliminating the cartridge case takes a lot of variables out of the equation. Making what is an incredibly complex situation, just a little bit easier to figure out.

You're going to like and appreciate that brake.
Levi has 1,000yds down pretty good, but he's always wanting more. Great guy and good friend.

Latest posts

Back