Oops today!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was the first day of PA's early muzzleloader season (anterless only) and I have a really funny story. After going in about 1/2 hour before light and sitting for a few hours I decided to head back to the truck. I had my new Knight Disc Extreme slung over my shoulder. Now keep in mind that I'm a lefty so I had the rifle on my left shoulder.
So anyway as I'm walking out I see a doe walking straight toward me close to 100 yards out. She saw me abut the same time. We had a brief stare down and as I took the rifle off my shoulder keeping my eye on her, she turned and was slowly trotting off. I flipped off the safety as I was shouldering the rifle (I had the plunger safety already off) and found her instantly in the scope. As it was fairly open I tracked her and started squeezing the trigger. NOTHING. What the heck? I lowered the rifle and looked at it and the bolt was up! It mush have bumped against my pack as I was walking. Oh well. It was fun and the score now is Deer 1, Clem 0.

Lol things like that just happen. Glad you laughing about it.

I had an old German 8mm Mauser that had a loose bolt. I would put a heavy rubber band around it and the trigger guard to keep it in place.

Hunting with my muzzleloader, I drew down on an elk and pulled the trigger. It wasn't cocked. I fixed that and tried again. It was on safe. The elk lost patience with me and trotted away laughing. Doo Doo Happens.

Today was the first day of PA's early muzzleloader season (anterless only) and I have a really funny story. After going in about 1/2 hour before light and sitting for a few hours I decided to head back to the truck. I had my new Knight Disc Extreme slung over my shoulder. Now keep in mind that I'm a lefty so I had the rifle on my left shoulder.
So anyway as I'm walking out I see a doe walking straight toward me close to 100 yards out. She saw me abut the same time. We had a brief stare down and as I took the rifle off my shoulder keeping my eye on her, she turned and was slowly trotting off. I flipped off the safety as I was shouldering the rifle (I had the plunger safety already off) and found her instantly in the scope. As it was fairly open I tracked her and started squeezing the trigger. NOTHING. What the heck? I lowered the rifle and looked at it and the bolt was up! It mush have bumped against my pack as I was walking. Oh well. It was fun and the score now is Deer 1, Clem 0.

Had the same thing happen with my UF Black Widow on a yote. Had it dead nuts at 40 yards, pulled the trigger, clunk, no boom. Bolt was partially open.

Last season I was standing along a fence as a blocker while others in our hunting group walked out a large patch of timber. I saw movement ahead of me and got my .45 x 209 Encore ready to shot o doe. I let some smaller antlerless deer pass and had a doe present to me a 30 yard broadside shot. I set my crosshairs on the top of the shoulders, base of the neck area and squeezed the trigger. CLICK! At that moment I learned the most muzzle loaders function better when you have a primer properly place in the ignition system.
bronko220002 your not the only one to flub up a shot!

Bolt action rifles are a little demanding when it comes to shooting and, as I found out with a decent west Alabama buck 40 yards away, the click of the firing pin falling on a empty chamber will not kill them.

Latest posts

Back