Opening day doe with 700ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPH

Reaction score
Shot a 90 lb. doe at about 75 yards with a 300 grain XTP .451 bullet out of my 54 caliber Remington 700 ML. She was slightly quartered away, and the bullet came out just behind the far shoulder.

This was timely as we ate the last of last year's deer meat a week or so ago.

I'd post a picture, but I need to figure out how to do so first.
DSCN3376.jpg

Ok, I think I got this right. Here is a picture of the doe and my 700ML.

use photobucket, upload your pic and then just copy the IMG link they provide to the pic and then post it here in the box where you type.

Or click the box next to your picture. Then at the lower left, click 'Generate HTMLS' then 2nd option from the bottom just click(automatically copies it) then paste it on here.

When it comes to meat on the table, I'd take a doe like that any day. Get some steaks all set and fire the weber grill... congratulations on the deer. And that is a nice looking rifle you have there.

I agree....I think they taste a little better then a buck.

Did she tumble like bricks or take off?

I found her about ten yards from where she was standing when I shot her.

This 700ML has taken several deer out to 135 yards. Usually they'll run 20 - 80 yards, although a few have dropped in their tracks.

I expect the meat to be good. Now I need to get out and kill another doe and two bucks this week, because I'll be out of the country for most of rifle season, and would like to stock the freezer while I can.

BTW, the only knife I had with me was a Swiss Army "Officer Suisse" knife. I skinned and quarted this doe with the large (2 1/4" ) blade and a hand saw. It did fine.

DPH said:
Now I need to get out and kill another doe and two bucks this week, because I'll be out of the country for most of rifle season, and would like to stock the freezer while I can.

IF ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Our deer population is very low ( bad winters and over hunted ) so we can only shoot one buck ( if you can find one ) . The mule deer don't have much winter range here anymore and are not anywhere near as hardy as white tail . Some white tail have come into northern utah from Idaho and i hope more come . I would love to eat some nice corn fed white tail . I would love to hunt idaho , but idaho is very picky on what you can use . No 209 primers or sabots .

Michigan if you can make the trip has a lot of animals. I know a lot of people who go to Wyoming for deer hunts.

flint head said:
Congrats on the doe!

Thanks for all of the congratulations.

Here in Arkansas, we are allowed 4 deer - two does and two bucks. I hope to be able to get at least one more deer this week while muzzle loader season is open. I may be able to get one Thanksgiving or in December.

Hope those of you who hunt a great season this year.

Back