Opening day tomorrow.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Deerman, hope you get a trophy turkey. :lewis:

Best of luck. Ours opens this coming Saturday here in VA. Supposed to rain but if not too hard the birds will be out. We can only hunt until noon for our first half of the season.

Best of luck. Ours opens this coming Saturday here in VA. Supposed to rain but if not too hard the birds will be out. We can only hunt until noon for our first half of the season.
In my younger days, I hunted in the rain. The birds always seemed to be in any open fields.
We have some windy conditions predicted here for tomorrow. I never had much luck hunting in the wind.

I was at my place in NW Oklahoma last week and had this picture on one of my non cellular cameras. I’m not a turkey hunter, but I really like having them around.
TuRFpD6.jpg

Beautiful pic!! Thanks for sharing.

Here in southeast VA we so tend to see birds in the fields during rain, sometimes even during thunderstorms. Crazy.

We put up 9 blinds this past Saturday. Four of us will rotate around them until mid May.

The Tennessee DNR postponed the season opener for two weeks in five counties, including where I hunt, because bird populations have dropped drastically in the last ten years or so. Hope that helps. In any event, good luck to all you guys and please let us know how you do. I expect I’ll have to get my turkey hunting thrills vicariously this year.

This morning turned out to be dud.
Never heard one gobbler. It was cloudy and kinda windy out there. I'll try again later on this week.

The Tennessee DNR postponed the season opener for two weeks in five counties, including where I hunt, because bird populations have dropped drastically in the last ten years or so. Hope that helps. In any event, good luck to all you guys and please let us know how you do. I expect I’ll have to get my turkey hunting thrills vicariously this year.
Whats happened to turkey's along the Mississippi river?? Coyotes??? Saw where TWRA did so, but mentioned not reason

There have been serious declines in turkey populations in several areas in the Easter US. Possible causes include predators, avian flu and, in our area, rumors that the chicken manure used by some folks for fertilizer, has a turkey parasite. I think coons are the worst predator. Nobody traps them anymore here because the furs not worth anything.

There have been serious declines in turkey populations in several areas in the Easter US. Possible causes include predators, avian flu and, in our area, rumors that the chicken manure used by some folks for fertilizer, has a turkey parasite. I think coons are the worst predator. Nobody traps them anymore here because the furs not worth anything.
Turkey populations in NW Oklahoma have been on the decline too, and from what I’ve heard, the blame is being placed on predators ie coyotes and coons.
I used to see a couple groups with 25-40 birds each, but the last couple years I’ve only seen one group with about 10 birds. Though I’m not a turkey hunter, I sure like seeing them around my place.

I went out here in VA, Tidewater area Saturday, saw a couple hens but no toms. They were gobbling early and then fog rolled in and shut them up. We have to be done by noon so of course it cleared up about 1115 but no luck. Four of us no score. My friend and I are trying again tomorrow morning then back to work for the rest of the week.
John

Back