Opening Day Youth Season in IA!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, I have to say that this buck wasn't taken with a muzzleloader, though my friend's son has taken some with his Traditions Buck Stalker. I was so excited about this however, I wanted to share it with all of you. This buck popped up about 15 minutes after dawn from his bed about 60 yards from the elevated blind my buddy and I put up this summer. He was bedded right next to a drinking hole with another smaller buck. My friend's son is 11 now, and this is his 4th year hunting. A Savage 350 Legend was used to harvest the deer, and a shot on the high shoulder dropped him on the spot. I couldn't be more proud of this young guy. For those of you who have mentored youth throughout your hunting careers, there is no greater feeling than watching a young hunter accomplish various goals. And if you have not mentored someone (youth or adult), I highly recommend it. He is practicing his compound bow daily now, getting ready for archery season. He has to work his way up to 45lbs, which is difficult for him because he is a smaller kid. I can't imagine a better way to kick off the 2022 deer season!!! I head back next weekend to take his brother.

Attachments

• Eli Buck 9-17-2022.jpg
    Eli Buck 9-17-2022.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow that is a cool looking buck! Congrats to all involved.

That is just great! Regardless of choice of weapon. I’m all in for helping our youthful hunters.
PLUS he’s wearing a vintage Buffalo Plaid bottoms!! lol
Happy for the young fella.

Nice! You're right about helping a new hunter get their first animal. I do that whenever I can. It is nearly as much fun as shooting one yourself.

Ive got a 14yo nephew who wants to deer hunt with me but football and girls keep distracting him. Also, he’s in Ohio and Im not. If only i could get him away from that devil, football!

Very nice. Congrats. You are correct, what a great feeling. I've watched my 3 boys shoot their 1st deer and hopefully will get to see my oldest grandson do the same this year.

Back